Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Potential CLIs/New Apps

tag
Iorek
Contributor

Re: Advice on Potential CLIs/New Apps

I apped for and got the Gold Delta SkyMiles with a 45k bonus offer! Woo!

Amex BCE ($15k), TE ($5k), BoA BBR ($600), Cash Rewards ($600), Barclays Sallie Mae ($6k), CapOne Quicksilver ($4k), Chase Freedom ($5.8k), CSP ($11k), Marriott (9k), IHG (12k), DCU ($6k), Discover IT ($6.5k)
TU - 4 INQ, EX - 7 INQ, EQ - 3 INQ
Gardening since 06/25/14.
Message 11 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 12 of 23
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Iorek wrote:

Congrats again

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 23
Exonumist
Established Contributor

@Iorek wrote:

Congrats! If you fly Delta it's a great card. 

Message 14 of 23
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! 45k for Delta is quite a good offer! When my wife tried for it in March, it was 40k offer and AFAIK at that point it was the best offer we could've crossed with.

I personally don't like PRG very much and I'll most likely be closing mine before AF hits, but it seems to be quite a good and safe door opener to the Amex family lately. Granted I only opened it because of huge 50k MR points sign up bonus and I have barely charged $100 on it after I got my bonus.

Would you mind sharing what were the spending requirements for Delta as well? (EDIT: Just looked it up on creditcards, 5k in 6 months seems to be very reasonable and rather easily manageable - I have the same requirement on SPG and close to meeting it now after 3-4 months just after charging my everyday expenses (commute, groceries, eating out) to this card). It is even easier with small tricks.) I am now close to completing bonus spending requirements on my recent SPG thus I've already started to look out where to put my spend over next months.

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 15 of 23
Iorek
Contributor

@mikka1 wrote:

Congrats! 45k for Delta is quite a good offer! When my wife tried for it in March, it was 40k offer and AFAIK at that point it was the best offer we could've crossed with.

I personally don't like PRG very much and I'll most likely be closing mine before AF hits, but it seems to be quite a good and safe door opener to the Amex family lately. Granted I only opened it because of huge 50k MR points sign up bonus and I have barely charged $100 on it after I got my bonus.

Would you mind sharing what were the spending requirements for Delta as well? (EDIT: Just looked it up on creditcards, 5k in 6 months seems to be very reasonable and rather easily manageable - I have the same requirement on SPG and close to meeting it now after 3-4 months just after charging my everyday expenses (commute, groceries, eating out) to this card). It is even easier with small tricks.) I am now close to completing bonus spending requirements on my recent SPG thus I've already started to look out where to put my spend over next months.

Thanks! Maybe you should apply and get that offer from your dog Smiley Wink

I probably will do similarly with regards to my PRG, especially if down the line I am able to get the CSP.

Correct, the offer was 5k in 6 months. Definitely managable, especially with moving expenses. My CL is $2k, but between paying before statement hits and 3x CLI in 61 days that won't be an issue.

I also went ahead and apped for the Walmart card, got approved for $700. Bought myself a KitchenAid stand mixer as a late graduation gift to get the $20 rebate. Also apped for the BoA BBR and got denied. Called for a recon and they told me they wanted to see more credit history. I guess that's my hint to get back in the garden for another 6-7 months.

Thanks everyone for the advice and kind words.

Amex BCE ($15k), TE ($5k), BoA BBR ($600), Cash Rewards ($600), Barclays Sallie Mae ($6k), CapOne Quicksilver ($4k), Chase Freedom ($5.8k), CSP ($11k), Marriott (9k), IHG (12k), DCU ($6k), Discover IT ($6.5k)
Message 16 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congrats on your spree. Definitely time to get in the garden!
Message 17 of 23
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

@Iorek wrote:
(...) Also apped for the BoA BBR and got denied. Called for a recon and they told me they wanted to see more credit history. I guess that's my hint to get back in the garden for another 6-7 months. (...)

Don't be too upset with BofA. Out of all major banks/CC issuers I dealt with so far, BofA has always been the toughest fruit because of the limited history(don't really know why). I managed to get my second BofA card (Travel Rewards) only with a painful recon because they were unwilling to "extend more credit to a client with such a short history" (I had ~1 year history at that point).

I know that YMMV significantly with BofA and I know there are people out there whose experience with BofA has been straight positive, but I just gave up on them at some point, paid off my balance on both cards and SD'ed them. If they do an auto-CLI - good, if they won't - I will not even notice that...

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 18 of 23
liandur
Valued Member

You may wait until just after Discover reaches its one year mark....my guess is they do a soft pull sometime around there. I called a week after reaching 1 year and was cli'd from $1700 to $5700 with a soft pull. My AAOA is 1 yr with oldest account just shy of 3 yrs - all FICOs ranging from 690 - 760 at any given time (mine seem to fluctuate a lot!) - income about half what yours is- and no lates or baddies anywhere.A few of my other cards ( BOA and US Bank) have CLI'd to match and keep competitive- 2/3 were soft pull. When I called them I just told them the truth. I monitor my credit and I know what reported utilization can do to my score- which by the way is very important to me. And the reason I would like a cli is not so that I can charge it up but so that I do not have to worry about using it damaging my overall credit if my payment is not processed prior to the statement cut and a balance is reported. After the first one I also noted that I had other cards with similar reward incentives but higher cl.

Capital One....I'm in the same boat with them. Although they are no longer telling me this type of account is not eligible (credit steps) I now just get a contradictory document that is not even quite a denial saying they are reviewing my usage of my current limit. I seem to be stuck at $1500 cl and have recently decided to just keep them on the back burner as I have other cards that are growing with me.

BOA gave me a cli upon activation from $1500 to my requested $5700. I initiated the request with a cs rep and was given a number to call and spoke with one of their senior credit analysts. Although in all fairness this decision was based on my TU and I have an old Macy's account in good standing but inactive that lengthened my AAOA. The analyst commended me on my on time payment history and told me that she had a great amount of respect for the fact that I monitor my reported usage and am aware of the effect of it. Not sure if this had any bearing on the result of my request but it was a real person that made the decision and not a computer.
Message 19 of 23
Iorek
Contributor

@mikka1 wrote:

@Iorek wrote:
(...) Also apped for the BoA BBR and got denied. Called for a recon and they told me they wanted to see more credit history. I guess that's my hint to get back in the garden for another 6-7 months. (...)

Don't be too upset with BofA. Out of all major banks/CC issuers I dealt with so far, BofA has always been the toughest fruit because of the limited history(don't really know why). I managed to get my second BofA card (Travel Rewards) only with a painful recon because they were unwilling to "extend more credit to a client with such a short history" (I had ~1 year history at that point).

I know that YMMV significantly with BofA and I know there are people out there whose experience with BofA has been straight positive, but I just gave up on them at some point, paid off my balance on both cards and SD'ed them. If they do an auto-CLI - good, if they won't - I will not even notice that...

Yeah, getting the one card I do have with them was a hassle. I ended up with a recon fight where the lady wanted me to name all the streets by my residence. After three INQs I finally got the small limit I do now. 

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.