Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on ThankYou Points...

tag
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

Advice on ThankYou Points...

If I redeem my ThankYou points (16K) at amazon it's roughly around $131...which is meh...

Do ThankYou points suck this much compared to Chase UR?

Please advice me on how I should maximize my return for the points I have...

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Advice on ThankYou Points...

@IcEWoLF wrote:

If I redeem my ThankYou points (16K) at amazon it's roughly around $131...which is meh...

Do ThankYou points suck this much compared to Chase UR?

Please advice me on how I should maximize my return for the points I have...

Cash redemptions or travel or something else?

The best  cash redemptions for TY points are the student loan/mortgage redemptions, as these are 1:1.   Basically, you call them and they ask which instituion holds your loan, and they send *you* a check made out to that institution as Citi does no verification.  Many people simply give the name of their bank and deposit the check into their account.   This is not recommended for people who have done a lot of manufactured spend, but if your points are 16K, you probably haven't!

Next best for amounts like yours are $100 gift cards, which are (sort of) 1:1 with any of the cards.   The selection is not huge, and you can get the gift cards below face value at a number of other sites, hence the sort-of 1:1.

For bigger amounts I get Walmart gift cards, which can be converted (at a slight loss) into Visa Gift cards as the best way to cash out too many points.

For travel, if you have a card like the Premier, you can redeem for travel at 1.25 cents per point.

Message 2 of 4
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the advice longtimelurker!

I will probably go with Walmart GC, I wish they offered 1:1 for Amazon...since that's where I do most of my shopping.

But oh well, I don't plan on using this card much over my Chase Freedom/CSP/DiscoverIT, I mainly got it for the decent sign up bonus and because I wanted a MC in my portfolio.

I have the ThankYou Preferred card. :/

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 3 of 4
enharu
Super Contributor

There's a 50% promo for Hilton transfers now. Hilton points are around 0.6ccp, so the bonus will bring it to somewhere around 1ccp, depending on your redemption. Not the best deal out there, but if you have a use for Hilton points then this is a straightforward solution.

Longtimelurker also previously suggested to me about redeeming for best buy GCs, which then can be used to buy kindle GCs, which are good for any amazon purchases. I haven't tried it yet.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.