Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on US Bank Secured Card graduation request

tag
charyot77
Regular Contributor

Re: Advice on US Bank Secured Card graduation request

@Moes wrote:

Got the card Oct. 2010, graduated to unsecured in Feb. 2012. Don't talk to underwriting, they don't know about secured card changes. I talked directly with the secured card department and they are the ones who graduate your card.

Do you remember exactly which number you called? I called one of the backdoor numbers and spoke to a woman in the secured card department and she told me it was always a hard pull.

I dont want a hardpull because I got a Barclay's card at the end of last year.  However if I wait for the Barclay's card to "mature" (6 months according to posters on here) then I wont be able to get my annual fee from US Bank refunded.

I'm just not sure what to do. Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 19
charyot77
Regular Contributor

any advice anyone? Smiley Embarassed

Message 12 of 19
dude11
Regular Contributor

When I called to have mine graduated at the 12 month mark I just called the number on the statement or back of the card. I told them I wanted to put in a request to unsecure it which the CSR I spoke to put in the request. It did result in a HP and the bastards denied me. Received a letter in the mail a few days later with reasons. So I'm going to wait till possibly next month to unsecure again which will be 1 1/2 yr at that point and see how it goes.

As far as Barclays, do you have any other inquiries after you got approved for it? If not, I don't think getting 1 HP within 6 months will kill you or cause Barclays to freak out just my opinion.

Also once the secured card gets graduated it should retain all account history except new account number from what the CSRs have told me.  

Hope this helps.

Message 13 of 19
Moes
Valued Member

I called the number on the back of card. I didn't get any alerts about a new inquiry and I monitor all three reports daily. I did see on my equifax which they pull here in MN that around the date of my request for graduation it has a section that has inquiries that don't affect my score and lists "US-BANK-exist". Which means it was a soft pull.

Starting Score: 520
Current Score: 665
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 19
charyot77
Regular Contributor

@dude11 wrote:

When I called to have mine graduated at the 12 month mark I just called the number on the statement or back of the card. I told them I wanted to put in a request to unsecure it which the CSR I spoke to put in the request. It did result in a HP and the bastards denied me. Received a letter in the mail a few days later with reasons. So I'm going to wait till possibly next month to unsecure again which will be 1 1/2 yr at that point and see how it goes.

As far as Barclays, do you have any other inquiries after you got approved for it? If not, I don't think getting 1 HP within 6 months will kill you or cause Barclays to freak out just my opinion.

Also once the secured card gets graduated it should retain all account history except new account number from what the CSRs have told me.  

Hope this helps.

It does help, thanks! 

I think I will just eat the annual fee and wait until after the 6 months are up.  You're right that it's probably likely Barclay's wont freak out, but $35 isnt worth the possibility of a "semi-prime" account being closed, especially when I'll probably get a CLI at the 6-month mark.

If I had known that US Bank didnt automatically graduate cards, then I would have never gotten this card.

Message 15 of 19
charyot77
Regular Contributor

@Moes wrote:

I called the number on the back of card. I didn't get any alerts about a new inquiry and I monitor all three reports daily. I did see on my equifax which they pull here in MN that around the date of my request for graduation it has a section that has inquiries that don't affect my score and lists "US-BANK-exist". Which means it was a soft pull.

I checked my credit report this week and it looks like US Bank did a soft pull at the end of last month.  I dont understand why they couldnt just use that to deny (or approve me) rather than me getting a hard pull!

Message 16 of 19
duck1098

I know this is an old thread but I have one question. When they graduate the card to unsecured does that reset the age of the account also? And will they refund the deposits?

Message 17 of 19
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@charyot77 wrote:

any advice anyone? Smiley Embarassed

Do you bank with them?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 18 of 19
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

In my case, they did a HP and applied for a new card, then I had to write on a piece of paper that I wanted the secured card closed. Then they faxed the letter request in to another group...

Kinda annoying, since I would have preferred to keep the original account open. But I did get a large credit limit ($8,500) on the new unsecured card. This was done in a US Bank office, and they had to call someone to find out the proper procedure. Apparently they called the wrong person for advice.

To the person with a Hammer, all problem look like Nails. So I guess they called someone who only knew how to open and close credit cards. So its buyer beware, make absolutely sure they know what it is you want to do, and don't assume they know best.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.