Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on a Capital One Recon issue...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on a Capital One Recon issue...

I received an immediate rejection for the Capital One Quicksilver credit card on June 24th. After a long hard cry in the bathroom (just kidding), I opened the letter they sent regarding their decline. They stated one of the reasons was a derogatory mark on my credit report, which stunned me because no such mark should have existed. 

I got the mark removed from my credit report as it was not mine to begin with, and then called the Capital One Executive Office to ask for a reconsideration, explaining the situation.

The woman who helped me said the best course of action would be to apply again, citing that it would require another hard pull to get my updated credit report, which I authorized. I gave her all of my information and was told to be on the watch for a response within the next few days. 

But when I finally received a reply, it showed the same reasons for denial as before, citing the date of the original credit report that they have pulled, NOT a new one like I had been led to believe they would use. 

I'm very upset that I've gone to all the trouble to try and apply, and yet the old irrelevant information was used. Should I attempt calling the EO again? Or is it just wasting my time?

I appreciate any advice forum members can give me. It's because of all you wonderfully knowledgeable people that I even know about recon numbers now Smiley Happy As for background info: Only six months of credit history, but a spotless payment record (no baddies). 

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on a Capital One Recon issue...

Did you get a new copy of your credit report to be sure it was removed? I am only asking because I have been "cleaning" my reports for a while and sometimes the reporting agency will tell you it will be removed, but it takes a while. My last incident was a correction made on June 25 that only showed on my file today. Hope this helps. So sorry this happened to you.

Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey musiclover, thanks for your response. I did check my credit report again, and the mark was completely removed from both my transunion and my experian reports the very next day (even though I had only disputed it with Transunion, it was removed from both.) The mark has stayed off my report ever since (I check daily, paranoid I guess). But even though the representative of Capital One told me they would pull new reports, the letter I was sent suggests they used the old one.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Re-applying for a card, authorizing a new hard pull, but not actually having that happen? So confused Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I couldn't help. I am sure others in the forum will provide excellent help. Good luck to you!

Message 4 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 36
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey musiclover, thanks for your response. I did check my credit report again, and the mark was completely removed from both my transunion and my experian reports the very next day (even though I had only disputed it with Transunion, it was removed from both.) The mark has stayed off my report ever since (I check daily, paranoid I guess). But even though the representative of Capital One told me they would pull new reports, the letter I was sent suggests they used the old one.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Re-applying for a card, authorizing a new hard pull, but not actually having that happen? So confused Smiley Sad

Did you check your Equifax report as well?  Capital One is notorious for pulling all three when you apply for one of their cards. 

Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey UncleB, yes I checked all three bureaus myself before making the call to the Capital One Executive Office and applying for the second time. My equifax is the only one out of all three that the false derogatory remark hadn't crept onto at all, and after removing the baddie all three reports were completely clean. Chase was reporting that I made payments every month, utilization was about 5%. Only looking over my reports now, I can see for sure that Capital One never bothered to pull another three reports to get the new information for themselves. 

I can't believe someone from capital one lied to me about a credit card application... I don't even know where to start now. If the EO won't do what they say they will, there doesn't seem to be anywhere else to turn to at Capital One... 

Message 7 of 36
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey UncleB, yes I checked all three bureaus myself before making the call to the Capital One Executive Office and applying for the second time. My equifax is the only one out of all three that the false derogatory remark hadn't crept onto at all, and after removing the baddie all three reports were completely clean. Chase was reporting that I made payments every month, utilization was about 5%. Only looking over my reports now, I can see for sure that Capital One never bothered to pull another three reports to get the new information for themselves. 

I can't believe someone from capital one lied to me about a credit card application... I don't even know where to start now. If the EO won't do what they say they will, there doesn't seem to be anywhere else to turn to at Capital One... 

I'm with you... this is ridiculous

Years ago I had issues with getting declined due to my father's info showing up on my credit report.  I would have to snail-mail the credit bureau, they would send me a copy of my report... I would snail-mail them the dispute, and after a few weeks I would get an updated copy of my report (again... all snail-mail).  I was usually able to send the copy of my updated report to an address on my denial letter, and usually a few weeks later I would get a new card in the mail.  Of course things have changed (especially the use of snail-mail), and it's too bad this "old" method of correspondence seems to seldom be an option these days.

The only other thing I might do is to app through the website again.  Since it appears the application through the EO used the old HP (which normally would be a good thing), it seems the only way to get a guaranteed-new HP is to use the traditional application method.  It would seem the EO would have understood that in your situation a new HP was not only 'not negative', but desirable, but stranger things have happened.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I'm really surprised at this discovery about their behavior too... I re-checked all three reports just to make sure, and they all show that no new pull was made. Why would I be asked for all of my information all over again if they're just going to grab the old report anyways? *eye roll* and to boot, I keep getting mail sent to me for invitations to apply for their Platinum Mastercard with the possibility of an increased credit line after five months of payments on time... I don't want to say that stings, but it kind of does after being rejected for the Quicksilver (something they also sent me an invitation letter for). 

Urgh! It's all my fault anyway for not checking all three reports before applying the very first time around, but I guess I'm glad they rejected me because at least it alerted me to the problem! 

And thanks for the advice UncleB, I think applying online might be the only sure-fire way to get a brand new HP done. Only in the interim while waiting for their response, calling, waiting again, and receiving their second response, I was bad and spree'd on oh... I don't know... six or seven other apps. So they might not like what they see on my report now anyway, only for different reasons Smiley Tongue

I know some institutions are finicky about new inquiries, is CapOne the same way? If rejected I could always try to recon, letting them know that the spree is because I have an upcoming raise and I'm hoping to build a profile before shopping for a house next year... but with my last attempt at recon through them, I really don't know if my comments would see the light of day lol. If it helps my situation at all, I got approved for Discover, Barclays Ring, FNBO, and a credit limit increase at Chase from $500 to $2,000. 

Message 9 of 36
rcrdoeva
Valued Member

Hmm well they are notorious for hitting you up on Innovis as well. Maybe that's where the bad mark is. Have you checked your Innovis report.
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.