Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on applying for additional cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on applying for additional cards

Just got approved for my first card ever yesterday ($4k), through my bank, BoA.  Figured not having any revolving was probably hurting me, so thought I'd get at least one.  Card here, first one I've ever applied for: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/susan-komen-credit-card.go

Wondering if it's advisable to look for another one or two, while I'm in the same credit-hunting window, as I know looking for new credit does ding it temporarily, but approvals help a little.  Though obviously don't want too many right now, as that'll drag AAoA down significantly.

Pulled my scores last month from CCT, below.  Had one inaccurate collections account ($119) that I managed to get EQ and EX to clear, but TU hasn't cleared yet, still working on that, so that's why it's lower.  Prior to my new card showing up, which hasn't happened yet, all I've got on my report is three student loans (one from 2007, two from 2015).  AAoA is decent due to the old one, over two years, not quite three years.  Could have a better effect on my score if the balance on it wasn't so high, but it used to be a negative mark and now it's a positive, so I'm happy; it defaulted when I was injured, but I got it rehabilitated last year, and now it's showing as current/never late.  All three are deferred until 12/11/16, according to my loan servicer, as I'm back in school completing my two-year this year, but that date will change in the fall when I transfer to complete my four-year.

EX 731

TU 621

EQ 717

End goal is to buy a very inexpensive house later this year, and I'll make a post in the mortgage section about that later, but wanted to get some input on this piece of the puzzle as soon as possible.  Have an appointment with a local mortgage company tomorrow to ask questions and see if they can help me at all.

Been doing a lot of reading but I know there's still a lot I don't know, and I figured it was time to come here and start asking questions.  So thanks for any answers you all might have.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Advice on applying for additional cards

@Anonymous wrote:

Just got approved for my first card ever yesterday ($4k), through my bank, BoA.  Figured not having any revolving was probably hurting me, so thought I'd get at least one.  Card here, first one I've ever applied for: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/susan-komen-credit-card.go

Wondering if it's advisable to look for another one or two, while I'm in the same credit-hunting window, as I know looking for new credit does ding it temporarily, but approvals help a little.  Though obviously don't want too many right now, as that'll drag AAoA down significantly.

Pulled my scores last month from CCT, below.  Had one inaccurate collections account ($119) that I managed to get EQ and EX to clear, but TU hasn't cleared yet, still working on that, so that's why it's lower.  Prior to my new card showing up, which hasn't happened yet, all I've got on my report is three student loans (one from 2007, two from 2015).  AAoA is decent due to the old one, over two years, not quite three years.  Could have a better effect on my score if the balance on it wasn't so high, but it used to be a negative mark and now it's a positive, so I'm happy; it defaulted when I was injured, but I got it rehabilitated last year, and now it's showing as current/never late.  All three are deferred until 12/11/16, according to my loan servicer, as I'm back in school completing my two-year this year, but that date will change in the fall when I transfer to complete my four-year.

EX 731

TU 621

EQ 717

End goal is to buy a very inexpensive house later this year, and I'll make a post in the mortgage section about that later, but wanted to get some input on this piece of the puzzle as soon as possible.  Have an appointment with a local mortgage company tomorrow to ask questions and see if they can help me at all.

Been doing a lot of reading but I know there's still a lot I don't know, and I figured it was time to come here and start asking questions.  So thanks for any answers you all might have.

It's kind of a tossup but I'd say yes, go for one bank card, but don't apply to Barclays or Synchrony because they'll pull TU.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guess I should have asked for a little more advice on actual cards to pick, but that is appreciated; it's always good to know what to avoid.

Was going to go ahead and post another thread in the other section, but the mortgage company said no one can help me for another year due to lack of length of employment history, so it looks like that's a project for next year instead.  Which means I've got more questions here first!

I just ran across something on either CK or CS (I forget which) saying that it's only auto and home loans that use a short time limit for the same window; is that accurate, and did I actually do some additional damage to my score by applying for (and being approved for) a second card (this one through Citi, for the curious)?

To rephrase the question: How much more do hard inquiries hurt when they're clustered together than when they're not, and how much more do they hurt when applying for credit cards, than when applying for home or auto loans (which admittedly make more sense to window)?

I do recall, at least, that hard inquiries stay on a report for two years, but only affect the score for one year, so by summer or fall of next year the effect should be minimal either way, but I remain curious about the mechanics of it all.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

if u got approved today u still may have time to merge inquiries, and go apply for the better balance rewards card or the travel rewards card.  

You should have applied for the AICPA cash rewards as its bonus is $175 instead of the susan komen

I think if you are getting a mortgage later this year and your scores are not well into the 700's u may want to hold off on getting any more cards. Good news is BOA will give u a CLI via SP hopefully and if not, 1 hp wont matter and it will be well worth it for you I am sure.

But really, its not always set in stone that getting cards before a mortgage are an issue. I would ask your lendor first about that. I have family that had 1 person with 7 new cards in 6 months and they didnt even care, so long as they are all paid off or low utilization.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

BoA was Monday and Citi was Wednesday (thought it was yesterday but I lost a day somewhere).  How do I merge inquiries?  And are you suggesting applying for a second from BoA, or some sort of juggling to have them change it to a different one instead?

That's more like the advice I was hoping for, don't know enough yet to know which cards are "preferable" over others, especially as I'm not sure the benefits specific to a given card will add up to be very much at all, with my spending habits.  Just wanted to get a couple and use them sparingly to build revolving history, since that's a component I was missing.  So I'll keep that in mind going forwards, at least, but not sure it makes a difference now.

Won't be this year after all, will be next year, summer probably.  So have some time yet.  Will ask the lender, though; good catch.

Message 5 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

EX 731

TU 621

EQ 717

I see that you added a Citi card. Good choice.

Now garden.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

BoA was Monday and Citi was Wednesday (thought it was yesterday but I lost a day somewhere).  How do I merge inquiries?  And are you suggesting applying for a second from BoA, or some sort of juggling to have them change it to a different one instead?

That's more like the advice I was hoping for, don't know enough yet to know which cards are "preferable" over others, especially as I'm not sure the benefits specific to a given card will add up to be very much at all, with my spending habits.  Just wanted to get a couple and use them sparingly to build revolving history, since that's a component I was missing.  So I'll keep that in mind going forwards, at least, but not sure it makes a difference now.

Won't be this year after all, will be next year, summer probably.  So have some time yet.  Will ask the lender, though; good catch.

you can google list of creditors that combine inquiries. it is not always guaranteed though. 

you should reference themanwhocan's chart in my signature if you want to get an idea of the best card to fit your spending. maybe post mortgage you can refine everything and figure out what is best. they wont make you rich, but the bonuses are free and ripe for the taking.

folks here will tell you for scoring reasons you should have at least 3 cards. pay them in full. make sure one of them reports at least  a balance of $2.  If not, keep the total balance on one card below 30% (less if you can). The more cards you have, the easier it is to have low util.

so proud that you have bank of america as your first card.  avoid capital one like the plague, they will not easily lower your APR, or give you CLI's. I will say Amex is easiest for apr reductions.  BOA is def great for increases, they are also good for APR reductions but bot as liberal as AMEX.  although in the future you may decide to add them, they have pretty simple rewards, easier approvals, decent customer service, etc. they just dont grow as well with folks like some banks.

Dont use your debit card at all.  Always use your credit card and pay in full except for a few $.  If you have money management problems then pay the card off weekly, or daily if you have to.  I am OCD and often pay off certain charges the day after.

Good for you for being in school. I would find out what types of loans you have. You should pay any interest now if you have any unsubsidized loans.  The payment will be extremely small and the savings will be in the thousands or tens of thousands.  Also be aware you can find a job in the public sector, a 501c3 not for profit specifically, and if you work full time 30hrs+ a week and make income based payments for 10 years, all your student loan debt will be forgiven. (kind of a rare chance a person would qualify for that but hey its good to know)

What citi card did you get?  Have you checked any of the other prequal sites to see if they list specific APRs?  I think you should totally look for a local credit union, see if u can bank there (checking, savings, etc), and open up your 3rd credit card there.  They tend to have attractive rates for home loans.

Message 7 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Guess I should have asked for a little more advice on actual cards to pick, but that is appreciated; it's always good to know what to avoid.

Was going to go ahead and post another thread in the other section, but the mortgage company said no one can help me for another year due to lack of length of employment history, so it looks like that's a project for next year instead.  Which means I've got more questions here first!

I just ran across something on either CK or CS (I forget which) saying that it's only auto and home loans that use a short time limit for the same window; is that accurate, and did I actually do some additional damage to my score by applying for (and being approved for) a second card (this one through Citi, for the curious)?

To rephrase the question: How much more do hard inquiries hurt when they're clustered together than when they're not, and how much more do they hurt when applying for credit cards, than when applying for home or auto loans (which admittedly make more sense to window)?

I do recall, at least, that hard inquiries stay on a report for two years, but only affect the score for one year, so by summer or fall of next year the effect should be minimal either way, but I remain curious about the mechanics of it all.

Congratulations on getting the two cards.

If you had no other Revolving credit prior to this, I would strongly suggest stopping at two. Here's why: If you had no Revolving items reporting in your credit report prior to this, and only the Term Loans in the form of student loans, you will want to wait to see when the BofA and Citi cards report, what effect that has on your FICO score.

The note about always having at least a small balance report on one credit card? That's because if you have all your CC reporting zero, you get a score drop. You may be on the other side of that situation, where your initial scores did not have any Revolving credit to latch on to, to score. I don't know the rest of your story, but it's possible these cards bump your score up a bit. Never any guarantees, but it seems possible.

And given all the advice you will find here, and all the cards to choose from, it's best to stop apping, get used to the two cards you have, and think about what you might want (or if you even want) in another card. Take your time researching.

Oh, and the "apping window" thing? Very difficult to pull off with Credit Cards, and it only works if you are applying for two cards from the same bank. It flat doesn't work with two different banks. That's a lot of new cards to ask from one bank at one time, and many of the cards involved have a bonus you can earn with some large amount of spend. Stacking all the spend to earn the bonuses can become difficult for most people, so they risk missing out on one of the main benefits of the new app.

You are correct, the HP effect does fade with time. So I don't get too hung up on the "cost" of a HP, since I don't get paid to keep them in a box, and no one charges me cash to use them for an app.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks SJ! That's the plan.

Lots of good advice, appreciated, jfriend and NRB. Got the Citi double cash card, jfriend. Do have unsubs this year, and am paying the interest that accrues on them while still in school. Appreciate the heads up, though; I'm sure many miss that.

Thanks for the clarification on dings from cc apps, NRB; makes sense. Still better to have clusters, I think, and then garden for a long period of time; just guess it doesn't matter quite as much how many days they are apart, since they all count.

Didn't apply for more than one card with the same entity; wasn't sure how long one had to wait before doing so, didn't think that was possible so early in my revolving history, and wanted to have at least a little diversity. And you're right, NRB, hard hits do decay, and they're the price of entry, so I'll just let them decay, and not worry too much.

Glad that BoA was a good choice; just figured it would be good to start with my bank, and chose them last year because my dad has banked there for years. Had read that three was a good number, yeah, and a credit union does sound like a good choice, so I'll look into that this coming week, see if it makes sense, and then enter the garden for a good long while.

During which time I'll conduct more research, and see how well the cards I have fit, so I can figure out what ones I should have going forward. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions in the next year or two, but I'll try not to ask too many stupid ones.

Still learning. Thanks again, all of you.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.