Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on credit actions to take before end of 2014

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Advice on credit actions to take before end of 2014

I have an app cycle coming up and I was thinking about doing it in Jan.My question concerns when should I take the following actions and should I do any of these steps in December.

I am considering doing the following:

Canceling my Amex PRG card to avoid AF (was approved for it 1/2/13) - I want to apply for the amex everyday preffered card so that I can keep on my MR points fromt he PRG. I want to apply for the AEP card on Jan 2 or shortly thereafter when a bunch of inqs go over a year old and I can get max backdating.

- Can I close the Amex PRG in mid-Jan and still avoid the full AF or would it be better to do it on or before 1/2?

- If I close the Amex PRG before getting the AEP card will I lose those MR points or will I have time to transfer them to the new card/ send them to a program after cancelling the PRG?

I have  Amex BCP that I want to downgrade to the Blue cash everyday non AF version. 

-Pretty much the same question as above. How long do I have to downgrade this card and avoid the AF? I would not want to downgrade it and then get denied the AEP. However if I get the AEP then the BCP would be a complete waste for me. Eventually I would want to transfer my credit line from the BCP to AEP and close it all together.

I have the CSP but want to downgrade it to the CS (I have ink bold so there is not much value in paying two AFs). 

-When is the latest I can downgrade the CSP and avoid the AF?

- Will I lose my annual 7% back on the CSP from 2014 by downgrading it now?

I am considering going for the following cards:

Amex everyday preferred

Chase hyatt (or chase ritz card)

Citi hilton

Maybe the barclays arrival plus although I'm thinking I may wait on that

- What would be the best app order?

- Should I go for any of these cards in end of December? Obiously the amex is going to wait until Jan for backdating.

At the moment I am optimizing my credit report and paying off balances, decreasing util etc. Most of the card statements will be cutting in about a week a few days before the end of the year. Is there anything else I should be doing other than getting my credit report in order before Jan 2? I will be calling in for retention offers although I do not think the above cards are known for getting worthwhile retention offers, I could be wrong though. 

Sorry for the long post, but this is my first time going through and cutting cards etc!

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on credit actions to take before end of 2014

I recemmend getting One card per Bank up until you have Credit Card with 5-6 diffent banks
Do business with Top 4 banks (Chase, BoA, Citi and wells Fargo)
so If you already have Cards from Amex and Chase then go for Citi or Wells Fargo
I found this site helpful
http://www.magnifymoney.com/compare/cashback-rewards
Click on $2000 and modify the numbers according to your spending habits

Message 2 of 34
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I recemmend getting One card per Bank up until you have Credit Card with 5-6 diffent banks
so If you already have Cards from Amex and Chase then go for Citi or Wells Fargo

Thanks for the post, but I am interested in travel rewards instead of cash back. The cards I have selected would offer rewards for an upcoming trip I am planning in the spring. I have cards with four lenders at the moment (chase/amex/citi/cap 1). Eventually I will pick up the barclays card (probably after I ditch the venture card if they refuse to waive AF) and maybe a Discover It card next spring to diverisfy lenders and increase my available credit for util purposes.  

;
Message 3 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

Thanks for the post, but I am interested in travel rewards instead of cash back. The cards I have selected would offer rewards for an upcoming trip I am planning in the spring. I have cards with four lenders at the moment (chase/amex/citi/cap 1). Eventually I will pick up the barclays card (probably after I ditch the venture card if they refuse to waive AF) and maybe a Discover It card next spring to diverisfy lenders and increase my available credit for util purposes.  

Why not go for the BoA Travel rewards Card or AAA Member rewards card by BoA
I understand you have 4 different lenders but they are not top 4 banking institutions of the US
magnifyingmoney doesn't only search cashback rewards if you look carefully

Message 4 of 34
NRB525
Super Contributor

Some notes:

The AMEX PRG, my experience cancelling the Delta Platinum after a few months was a prorated refund of the AF. I would expect the same for the PRG, so would not jump too fast to close that one. It is a good anchor for your AMEX relation, and given all the other changes you want to do with AMEX, I'd suggest not closing any of them until things settle down there.

What is AEP? EveryDay Preferred EDP? You most likely must have both the PRG and EveryDay Preferred open at the same time to transfer MR points.

The BCP downgrade, I don't know, you might just try apping directly for the BlueCash. Does the link on the regular American Express site allow you to do that? You might get a smaller CL, but likely do get the card opened.

Is your BCP CL more than 13 statements old? If not, you can't transfer it until it is 13 statements old, and that includes after any CLI.

I don't have any Chase Sapphire, Preferred or otherwise, but comments elsewhere lead me to believe there is only the CSP, no CS anymore. So might be worth some research. I would guess closing the CSP would, yes, remove any annual bonus you might earn after that.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You said this before so I will disagree again!   What is the magic in the top 4 banks.  For many, Wells Fargo really doesn't have great cards, and for me at least, without a relationship bonus, BoA is pretty meh.  I would put Penfed, US Banks, Barclays and Cap One (for QS anyway) ahead of Wells Fargo for my needs.   Just diversify a little and choose the best cards for you, whichever issuer they come from.

Message 6 of 34
red259
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Some notes:

The AMEX PRG, my experience cancelling the Delta Platinum after a few months was a prorated refund of the AF. I would expect the same for the PRG, so would not jump too fast to close that one. It is a good anchor for your AMEX relation, and given all the other changes you want to do with AMEX, I'd suggest not closing any of them until things settle down there.

What is AEP? EveryDay Preferred EDP? You most likely must have both the PRG and EveryDay Preferred open at the same time to transfer MR points.

The BCP downgrade, I don't know, you might just try apping directly for the BlueCash. Does the link on the regular American Express site allow you to do that? You might get a smaller CL, but likely do get the card opened.

Is your BCP CL more than 13 statements old? If not, you can't transfer it until it is 13 statements old, and that includes after any CLI.

I don't have any Chase Sapphire, Preferred or otherwise, but comments elsewhere lead me to believe there is only the CSP, no CS anymore. So might be worth some research. I would guess closing the CSP would, yes, remove any annual bonus you might earn after that.

Good luck!

What is AEP? EveryDay Preferred EDP?

- Yes that is the card I was referring to. 

The BCP downgrade, I don't know, you might just try apping directly for the BlueCash.

- I dont want to app for blue cash since I am apping for everyday preferred (also I have an amex spg), so I think its too risk going for more than one amex card at this time. I was hoping to just product change the BCP to a non-af version. Its 12 months old so I do not think I can transfer the credit line over yet, which is the only reason I would keep the card open. (I may eventually ditch the amex spg card - especially if I get the business version, but I will likely keep the everyday prefferred long term and pay the AF).

- This would be deeply disappointing. If I didn't have the ink card then I would keep the CSP, but I can't justify the two AFs for so little return. It seems unfair that they would not give me the annual bonus if I cancel after I earned it.  

;
Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

You said this before so I will disagree again!   What is the magic in the top 4 banks.  For many, Wells Fargo really doesn't have great cards, and for me at least, without a relationship bonus, BoA is pretty meh.  I would put Penfed, US Banks, Barclays and Cap One (for QS anyway) ahead of Wells Fargo for my needs.   Just diversify a little and choose the best cards for you, whichever issuer they come from.

You can disagree with me
But when we get a mortgage down the line the money is coming from any one of these 4 banks
You can get it from CU's and local banks it doesn't matter they are just retailers
When top 4 bank loan officers looks at your report
It matters if you have good long relationship with them that is why
of course rewards here and there get you few hundered bucks more
But when it comes to big lending it pays dividend to bank with top 4

Message 8 of 34
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Why not go for the BoA Travel rewards Card or AAA Member rewards card by BoA
I understand you have 4 different lenders but they are not top 4 banking institutions of the US
magnifyingmoney doesn't only search cashback rewards if you look carefully

I just went back and looked at that website and don't see anything about travel rewards. The primary focus seems to be on cashback. I am not impressed with BoA products and I have zero desire to do business with them. I don't care about who is the top banking institution. That in my mind is really not an important factor at all. What is important is the benefits I derive from the particular products. 

;
Message 9 of 34
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

You can disagree with me
But when we get a mortgage down the line the money is coming from any one of these 4 banks
You can get it from CU's and local banks it doesn't matter they are just retailers
When top 4 bank loan officers looks at your report
It matters if you have good long relationship with them that is why
of course rewards here and there get you few hundered bucks more
But when it comes to big lending it pays dividend to bank with top 4

Actually, my current mortgage is from Wells Fargo, a company I have no other relationship with (except it looks like one of my mortgages from a long time ago was also sold to them).

AFAIK, and here I may be wong, the big banks weren't ever involved in my mortgage decision, that was the loan officer from the institution involved.  The loans are then packaged, making sure that they meet the required standards, and sold on the secondary market, one of mine wasn't sold for several months (and went to Citi) so don't see how they could be involved at decision time.

I also got my mortgage via an internet broker, and the APR was 1% lower (2.875 rather than 3.875 and up) than the big banks were offering at the time.   Big banks often have bad savings rates, bad loan rates, and lots of fees.   I have an old BoA account, all my other stuff is from internet banks.   And getting "big lending" hasn't seemed to be a problem.

So how has your strategy helped you?

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.