Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on credit card issues?

tag
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

Advice on credit card issues?

Well, I got a phone call about an hour ago from someone who is close to me. She seems to be in a tight spot and I'm not sure what would be best...She has a total balance of about $14,000 in credit card debt out of about $20,000 available credit. So utilization is about 75-80%. Her FICO score for TU is close to 650 and her Equifax FICO is 665. She also has about $50,000 in Student Loan debt (Fixed rate). She has high credit card debt because she has been paying for the household expenses while she was out of work. Now she has income but the APR's are really high. I've been thinking about advising her for a Balance Transfer Card but that seems like it might be denied because of high utilization. What card would be best for her to apply, if any?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice on credit card issues?

See could try the Chase Slate but you're right about the high Util...may be a no go. She could call the Chase back door number and talk to a loan officer before she apps to see if there is anything they can do. Keep in mind the APR usually goes up after the intro period so she would need to see if the APR would be reasonable.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 2 of 3
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

Re: Advice on credit card issues?

Call a credit counseling agency and get them to get apr reduced and work with agency.

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.