cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on credit card plan for 18 year old military.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on credit card plan for 18 year old military.

My sibling just turned 18 and is in the military, wants a few (less than four) easy to use but good credit cards in the future. Don't care about financing or APR, she's the type of person who pays everything off each month.

Main Checking/Savings Account: Probably USAA)

Year 1
Everything - $500 Discover It Secured

Year 2
5% Rotating - Discover It
Military Base/Gas/Supermarket - USAA Cashback Rewards Plus (not sure how hard this is to get yet)
Everything else - USAA Limitless

Reasoning:
Discover It Secured - Good bank, easy graduation, cash back match for the first year
USAA Cashback Rewards Plus - Best for military, good rewards

USAA Limitless - Easy 2.5% card

Againist:
Capital One Secured - Graduation policy is almost not existant

BoA - Better cards elsewhere

Update 1: OMG I forgot about PenFed

Update 2: Switched from Penfed Power Cash to USAA Limitless

10 REPLIES 10
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: Advice on credit card plan for 18 year old military.

USAA has an amazing Limitless cc out on Pilot right now , 2.5 cash back on EVERY PURCHASE, it's an awesome card . I have it myself and the Cash rewards Amex too and love both of them . I love usaa a lot
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aduke1122 wrote:
USAA has an amazing Limitless cc out on Pilot right now , 2.5 cash back on EVERY PURCHASE, it's an awesome card . I have it myself and the Cash rewards Amex too and love both of them . I love usaa a lot

Yeah I noticed that one! Looks sweet but not sure if 1) It'll still be available in a year, and 2) If they'll give it to a 19 year old.

I mean this list is definately going to be re-checked over time, but I figured I'd keep a limited pilot card off for now

Message 3 of 11
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I think it has actually rolled out in almost all states now , if you have any relationship with Usaa and have decent credit they will approve
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aduke1122 wrote:
I think it has actually rolled out in almost all states now , if you have any relationship with Usaa and have decent credit they will approve

Ohh so it's an official card here to stay? I'm still looking for a company to have here main checking/savings account with. I know USAA is good but they don't really have a high APR on those accounts.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have your them......check into these Miltary Banks & Credit Unions

USAA

Navy Federal

Penfed

Servce Federal Credit Union

Have them ... establish credit with each!

Also make sure that they do not go over  there credit limits and get into trouble by using to much credit and unable to pay it back!

Message 6 of 11
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Yes I beleive it's here to stay , the only reason it is still called a Pilot is bc they were only releasing it to certain states at a time. But the last I check almost all states now are able to app. I have both Navy fed and usaa for main banking purposes, where one lacks the other picks up .
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aduke1122 wrote:
Yes I beleive it's here to stay , the only reason it is still called a Pilot is bc they were only releasing it to certain states at a time. But the last I check almost all states now are able to app. I have both Navy fed and usaa for main banking purposes, where one lacks the other picks up .

Alright, updated, will probably do USAA Checking/Saving account as well

Message 8 of 11
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My sibling just turned 18 and is in the military, wants a few (less than four) easy to use but good credit cards in the future. Don't care about financing or APR, she's the type of person who pays everything off each month.

Main Checking/Savings Account: Probably USAA)

Year 1
Everything - $500 Discover It Secured

Year 2
5% Rotating - Discover It
Military Base/Gas/Supermarket - USAA Cashback Rewards Plus (not sure how hard this is to get yet)
Everything else - USAA Limitless

Reasoning:
Discover It Secured - Good bank, easy graduation, cash back match for the first year
USAA Cashback Rewards Plus - Best for military, good rewards

USAA Limitless - Easy 2.5% card

Againist:
Capital One Secured - Graduation policy is almost not existant

BoA - Better cards elsewhere

Update 1: OMG I forgot about PenFed

Update 2: Switched from Penfed Power Cash to USAA Limitless

Discover has a special offer for people that are in service (military) and family, last I checked is about 5% APR on all purchases

Starting Score:EX: 713 EQ: 698
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it's important to point out that limitless is only 2.5% if you have the $1,000 direct deposit each month; otherwise, it's only 1.5%!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.