Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on credit card

tag
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Advice on credit card

My husband was approved for the Cap 1 secured w/ $99 deposit, paid the deposit Friday, expecting the card in 2ish weeks, he was also approved for the fingerhut fresh start acct $230 limit, completed the fresh start acct and now waiting for the revolving acct to kick in. I'd like to get one more card bc I  hear 3-4 is best for building credit. Can anyone reccomend a card? And also how long we should have the cap 1 and fingerhut before app'ing? We plan to apply for a mortgage in probably November/December (as long as his credit is 640 but it should be by then) It is for a USDA direct loan. I know typically you're not supposed to apply 6 months before applying for a home loan, but I wasn't sure if USDA was as strict or if it would cause us to not get appoved if he applied for another card 3-4 months before applying for the usda loan, especially since we're trying to build credit to get to a 640 and you can't really build much without some revolving accts! I would like an unsecured card, was thinking about applying for our credit unions platinum visa, just dont want anymore HP's and get denied. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Richierichdollar
New Contributor

Re: Advice on credit card

I think working on what is bad on his report will give you the most increase. There is not really a time limit or formula to get to a certain score within a certain time. Or I and many others would have 800+ scores already. It is time that is you friend and enemy. Also need more info to go on.

Message 2 of 6
qd
Regular Contributor

I hear all the time not to app for anything 6 months before trying to get a mortgage.  I agree on working on cleaning up the issues that are on his reports right now and letting the cap1 and fingerhut begin reporting.  If you can push the home loan off a while, then I might consider another card, but even still I would let his two new accounts report and wait a couple months before app'ing for a unsecured card.

Message 3 of 6
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

We have one collection on his report to pay and we're paying it Friday and they've agreed to delete.. so after that there's nothing to work on. I've been at the credit repair game for 2 years now so I know all that, my question is what type of card would be best to apply for (basically easiest unsecured card to get) and how long should I have the cap 1 and fingerhut revolving acct before app'ing for said card..

Message 4 of 6
qd
Regular Contributor

I got the capital one rewards and barclays nfl cards when my scores were low 600's...low limits but I was happy to have them approve me nonetheless.

Message 5 of 6
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

@qd wrote:

I got the capital one rewards and barclays nfl cards when my scores were low 600's...low limits but I was happy to have them approve me nonetheless.

Thanks!! Will cap 1 give an unsecured when you have their secured card?? 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.