Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on how long to garden

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on how long to garden

I'm afraid I got overzealous with my first round of high limit cards. Within the last month I've gotten the following:

CLI from $500 -> $12000 Navy Federal nRewards

New Cap One Venture -> $15000

New Cap One Plat Prestige ->$1000

Before the above I had a Cap One Platinum Secured at $750 and Navy Federal nRewards at $500. I always PIF.

I haven't gotten the inq yet from the Prestige. I hear Cap One pulls all three. I applied and was approved for the Venture and the Prestige within one day of each other. My inquiries are:

Navy Federal July 2014

Cap One April 2015 (2x)

I would say that's pretty low on inquiries right? The Navy Federal inquiry should stop affecting me in in a few months. I only got the Prestige because of the 0% until July 2016. I need furntiture. Sucked they only gave me $1000. Oh well that will keep for from being tempted to do too much.

My current scores are 677-668-682

AAoA before the two new cards hit is at 3 years.

I think I should garden for about a year. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Advice on how long to garden

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm afraid I got overzealous with my first round of high limit cards. Within the last month I've gotten the following:

CLI from $500 -> $12000 Navy Federal nRewards

New Cap One Venture -> $15000

New Cap One Plat Prestige ->$1000

Before the above I had a Cap One Platinum Secured at $750 and Navy Federal nRewards at $500. I always PIF.

I haven't gotten the inq yet from the Prestige. I hear Cap One pulls all three. I applied and was approved for the Venture and the Prestige within one day of each other. My inquiries are:

Navy Federal July 2014

Cap One April 2015 (2x)

I would say that's pretty low on inquiries right? The Navy Federal inquiry should stop affecting me in in a few months. I only got the Prestige because of the 0% until July 2016. I need furntiture. Sucked they only gave me $1000. Oh well that will keep for from being tempted to do too much.

My current scores are 677-668-682

AAoA before the two new cards hit is at 3 years.

I think I should garden for about a year. Thoughts?

That sounds like a good plan to me!  Congrats on your approvals - nice limits Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 10
stellar
Established Contributor

In my opinion you sound very conservative.  I doubt you would need to garden more than 6 months in order to apply for any other cards you want.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Garden for life, tis the goal
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!!! When Venture instantly approved at 15K I was blown away!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@stellar wrote:

In my opinion you sound very conservative.  I doubt you would need to garden more than 6 months in order to apply for any other cards you want.

Really? The two new accounts haven't hit my report yet being that I was so recently approved. I was concerned that my score is going to tank once they do. That's why I thought I should garden for awhile. How fast does your score typically rebound from new accounts hits? I guess I am being conservative because in all of my years my credit has never been deemed anywhere close to good. It took me ages to grow up financially.

Message 6 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congratulations on getting to almost $30,000 in available credit cards!

You have enough credit to handle many years of PIF use, and the Venture provides an avenue to earn 2% travel points. With scores in the mid+ 600s, you will probably want to garden a year to get them much higher.

You may be tempted by "Rotating Categories!" "5% earnings!" and other bonus offers, however look closely at how those will actually calculate out, from your actual spend level, and they probably won't add up to a lot of coin in your pocket, over and above what you already will get with the Venture (and perhaps the nRewards). The marginal points/cash earnings likely aren't a lot. Those cards will be there a year from now, and you will likely get a better limit when you app for them.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 10
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

I have a similar thought process.  My AAoA was over 7 years, but I just received 7 new CCs:

Kohls $300

VS $1000

Discover IT $3.5K

Home Depot $10K

USAA $7K

NFCU cashRewards $10K

Venture $15K

I am sure that is gonna do a bit of damage to my AAoA and score.  Currently, only the Kohls, VS and Discover have reported.  I have 5 INQss on EQ with the oldest about to drop (5/2/13 is the date of INQ), 3 INSs on EX and 2 on TU with the same old INQ on both of those....

Headed into the garden 3 days ago and unless my car gives up the ghost (2007 Scion tC w/225,000 mi), I have no need for any new credit.  It will be 4.5 years before my baddies age off if I can't get them deleted before them (all lates on current accounts....)

sigh

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Momof5 wrote:

I have a similar thought process.  My AAoA was over 7 years, but I just received 7 new CCs:

Kohls $300

VS $1000

Discover IT $3.5K

Home Depot $10K

USAA $7K

NFCU cashRewards $10K

Venture $15K

I am sure that is gonna do a bit of damage to my AAoA and score.  Currently, only the Kohls, VS and Discover have reported.  I have 5 INQss on EQ with the oldest about to drop (5/2/13 is the date of INQ), 3 INSs on EX and 2 on TU with the same old INQ on both of those....

Headed into the garden 3 days ago and unless my car gives up the ghost (2007 Scion tC w/225,000 mi), I have no need for any new credit.  It will be 4.5 years before my baddies age off if I can't get them deleted before them (all lates on current accounts....)

sigh

Happy gardening lady! Smiley Happy I'm headed there myself. I haven't gotten any new inquiry alerts since I applied for the Platinum Prestige card one day after the Venture. That was yesterday. Could it be that they used the same pull? Wouldn't that be awesome?! Anyway, like you I don't need any more credit. I do wish I had a cl of about $5k on a 0% apr for 15 months type of card. I would definitely use it to buy furniture. I prefer not to ever incur interest. Especially since my interest rates pretty much suck. I'll leave it alone though and let what I have age.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Garden for as long as the sun continues to rise in the east and set in the west, for as long as the stars shine at night, for as long as spring follows winter, and summer follows spring. Garden for as long as there are fish in the sea and for as long as the mountains will stand.

Or until you need more credit.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.