Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on how to get CLI on BOFA CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on how to get CLI on BOFA CC

Every how often can you request a CLI from BofA?

What will make them more inclined to increase the limit? (What could we do on our end- Card is always at 0 balance)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
hunter399
New Contributor

Re: Advice on how to get CLI on BOFA CC

I requested a CLI from B of A 3 or 4 months ago. It was a small increase from $500 to $800. I have had no credit issues since the card was issued. 

I put in the request online (via "my account), and got a phone call from them about 3 hours later. The rep was very nice - asked a few questions about why I wanted the increase and inquired about come negative info on my credit report from 3 years ago. I told the rep that I would like the increase to help increase my credit score, and make me more appealing to lenders. He thanked me for my time, and said he was approving the increase. 

For what its worth, I asked for the $300 increase .... I probably could/should have asked for more, but I didn't want to seem "greedy". 

Message 2 of 6
Ron1
Super Contributor

I did every six months. Six months ago, they gave me $4K.Last month, they didn't give me CLI. They moved portion of other BofA cards to the one I requested. They sent me a letter for denial and the reason were enough credit with FIA and economy. By the way, some people got CLD or account closure by requesting CLI. 

Ron.

Message 3 of 6
larinoriani
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What will make them more inclined to increase the limit? (What could we do on our end- Card is always at 0 balance)

First, they would like to see activity in the account.

Starting Score: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2010: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2011: TU 753
Goal Score: EQ 800--TU 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
lovely222
Regular Contributor

I finally got a CLI from BofA World Points Mastercard in November. I went from $750 to $2500. In the summer I called and spoke to a credit analyst but he said everything looked good on my report except one collection. So I finally called the CA and paid for deletion (it was Eastern Accounting Systems apparently it was a miscommunication so they were fine with PFD) it was off the next time I pulled my report with Credit Secure from American Express. In November, I requested a CLI online and it told me to call a number for an instant decision. This nice lady asked me some questions about my income and rent/living situation and why I wanted the increase. I told her I was building my credit. She asked how much I wanted and then said "I have to say congratulations, your limit is now $2,500". 

Hope this helps!

6/13: FICO TU (Walmart): 750
6/13: FICO EQ (Score Watch): 769
Goal: 780+, 0 Balances, No app'ing! (For real this time!!!)
Message 5 of 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@larinoriani wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

First, they would like to see activity in the account.

OP, do you use the card a lot, but pay it off early so that it reports $0? If so, that shouldn't be a problem. If you never use it, then I have to agree --a lender has no motivation to increase an unused CL.

I got a CLI after I opened my card for the express purpose of doing a BT. I would have had 84% util on the card, so I called and asked for enough to make it under 50%.

BT's can be expensive, though, once you factor in the BT fee and how much you pay (especially for a term under a year), so I would only do this if it made sense for other reasons, not just getting a CLI.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.