Did you mean: 

Advice on managing my debt

tag
rlx01
Established Contributor

Re: Advice on managing my debt

Soft pull = no inquriy.
Hard pull = inquiry.

Anyway, I think it's really up to you whether to go for the Slate now or not. You have a good pre approval. None of this is exact.

I'd also look at refinancing the car loan with someone like DCU. As far as I know it's a HP to join, but they use the same pull for the auto loan.
Message 21 of 32
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Soft Pull (no points) / Hard Pull (points)

Message 22 of 32
rlx01
Established Contributor

For Citi CLI, go here:

https://accountonline.citi.com/cards/svc/LoginGet.do?NEXT_SCREEN=/ICLI&siteId=CB&cmp=EMC~01~121001~C...

"We will not pull a credit report" = SP.

"We need 24 hours to review a report" = HP.

Don't do it if it's a HP.
Message 23 of 32
rlx01
Established Contributor

Anyway, good luck. Please let us know if you decide to apply for the Slate (use the pre-approval site) whenever that is.
Message 24 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I'll probably go for the slate tomorrow morning and see what I get, worse comes to worse I'll try to get a CLI if I get a low CL with the slate. I'll also check out some of my local CU's to see if I can refinance and what the difference would be. Guess an inquiry wouldn't be too bad if I get a much lower APR. I'll keep this updated as I go along in case I need further advice. Thanks again!
Message 25 of 32
rlx01
Established Contributor

The thing to remember with Chase is that asking them to reconsider a CL is another HP, but so is applying for another card on the same day.

So the way to get a higher Slate limit if the original limit isn't enough is to then apply for a Freedom or whatever in an incognito browser window. The two HPs combine if they're on the same day. So if you get declined for the second card it doesn't matter.

If you get approved for say, 6k on the Slate and 4K on the Freedom, you can then ask Chase to move 3.5k from the Freesom to the Slate.

Just something to keep in mind. Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, please remember your words were “I'm open to any advice you all are willing to provide” and I’m a Dad and a guy that’s worked with folks with regard to financial health for well over 20 years. So I say, what I say with love and CONCREN, friendSmiley Wink

1st off before I forget …of course you can’t allow that A/E % rate to kick in, it’d be criminal to ‘volunteer’ to pay 22.49% on almost 3k.

2nd, it’d be against responsible stewardship NOT to advise that although you can get out of this type of scenario, yet again at 25, after you said you’ve gone through your “young-didn’t-know-any-better” stage, once already…you MUST ‘reprogram’ yourself or you’re gonna really, really set yourself up for way more B.S. in your life than you need…..

Trust me, life will throw you enough beyond your controllable B.S. to deal with…PLEASE don’t continue adding MORE crap for you to dig out of over-spending adding un-needed stress can ruin more areas of your life, than you can even imagine.

Like it or not….you gotta start living within the MEANS of a person that makes $600/wk BEFORE taxes or make more $$$.

Again not trying to be a jerk but LOOK at that number $600/wk before taxes…and then look at the acquired w/o a gun to head debt….it just will never work, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Ok, a car note is a car note no biggie…however the long run answer is one with that income just CAN NOT have multiple CC’s with 1000’s of dollars REVOLVING in debt, period!

PB&J Top Ramen …whatever you need to do …please SAVE yourself…..our culture has lead too mny of you young ppl into using these cards like video games but I’ll say it for the last time REPROGRAM your thinking about how to use ‘debt’, it isn’t worth what you’ve already OVER-PAID for and what you’ve now have to pay your way out of again at only 25.

Ok, I’ve said and done my Dad bit….

This may need to be a Texas 2-step process….

Yeah, I know the ‘sexy’ option is to BT to yet another card…but as you have already said the gamble there is a) credit line and b) the promotional term are both crap shoots

I really prefer that folks go ahead and grab a PL…obviously that comes with a FIXED rate and fixed term..both of which are ‘suggestions’ because you CONTROL how much % and how long you take to pay off your debt.

Too many times ppl get LOST in the ‘hey’ but the ‘rate’ is…and I have to ‘remind’ folks that the plus of a fixed rate PL is

1) the term is just the MAX amount of time if you ‘slow’ pay the loan…the actual % paid has to do with how long you take to pay …ie if the ‘required’ payment is $100 on that 5k loan over 60 months…what’s topping you from chopping down that tree at $200-$300/mo and you’d pay nowhere NEAR the amount of % listed as your loan would disappear way prior to 60 months….duh?

2ndly by getting an installer to decrease to debt ratio reflect on one’s credit profile, may of course shot the credit score UP enough to get a 2nd loan (step 2 of the Texas 2-step) if one can’t qual for a big enough loan to soak up the debt in the 1st place.

Also once the 1st PL takes away some debt, again making the revolving debt ratio ‘look’ better…the profile may now get BT offers based upon how the profile appears (Again, the DANGER here Is…often times once the cards are clean and CLI’s are awarded (b/c catch-22…it looks ‘good’) ppl go create MORE overall debt…please don’t fall for that!

Moving the debt to PLs and/or low % BT CCs is just a tactic but the dollar amount still has to be aggressively attacked.

IMO just be careful not to over-extend yourself ‘promising’ yourself that a 12 month % BT CC promotion is enough time to pay off a debt that may actually be less stressfully paid off with a fixed rate PL over 20 or 25 payments…forget about ‘if’ it took 60 months…it’ll take only as much time as YOU let it…if you just STOP the % from revolving, you’ll save a bunch of money.

The best thing about a term loan is …you see the MAX amount of % you’ll pay IF you use the entire term…to me it becomes a CHALLENGE to see how much LESS I can paySmiley Surprised

Good Luck

Any ?s ask or PM

Message 27 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

P.s. my citi card was just increased to $10,800 using that site. I opted for the immediate increase considering if I wanted more I'd have to suffer a HP.
Message 28 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that Gemini, words I needed to hear, or read. I know I was brought up to believe I can use my credit card whenever I wanted with no repercussions but fact of the matter is I was very wrong. I'm starting to see everything you mentioned now and I know that if I don't get a handle on this now it'll just go spiraling down in the future. I want to take care of everything asap while I have time and do not have a family to care for. I'm hoping to be debt free very soon so I can focus putting money where it should be getting put. Luckily I've been able to get through most of my college life without a student loan and I plan to keep it that way so at least that hasn't brought me down yet, got one thing going for me lol.
Message 29 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with doing a 0% BT off that high Mewegg and requesting all the CLI possible. As for a CU for the car loan you may want to check out PenFed. You can use the HP to join, app for your car and also a CC all in one. As already stated: pay and/or move the highest APR debt and adjust your spending patterns and by this time next year you will be much more financially stable.
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.