Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on maximizing usage of cards?

tag
zsepthenne
Regular Contributor

Advice on maximizing usage of cards?

I've recently acquired a Discover, and a Barclaycard Rewards, and have my Bofa secured card. The question is, how do I show good usage on all these cards when I have a low income, 24k? Obviously I haven't had the cards long enough to where I should consider sock drawering and rotating, right? I thought of doing that with the BofA, but I'm really hoping I might be able to get it to graduate early at 9 months maybe. Also, does Walmart show up as a code of "groceries" for the rewards portion of any of these cards? How would you guys arrange it to reap maximum rewards and show good use?

Beginning Scores 9/2013: EX 651, TU 639 Short term goals: Scores in the mid 700s 1/15 TU08 701| 4/2018 TU08 800!! |11/2019 TU 785
CapOne Quicksilver $5000 | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard $6900 | Amex Everyday $15000 | Discover It $13000 | Cap One Walmart Mastercard $8000 | BofA Cash Rewards $3200 | CareCredit $7200 | Citibank Double Cash $10500 | Chase AARP $5500
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Advice on maximizing usage of cards?

@zsepthenne wrote:

I've recently acquired a Discover, and a Barclaycard Rewards, and have my Bofa secured card. The question is, how do I show good usage on all these cards when I have a low income, 24k? Obviously I haven't had the cards long enough to where I should consider sock drawering and rotating, right? I thought of doing that with the BofA, but I'm really hoping I might be able to get it to graduate early at 9 months maybe. Also, does Walmart show up as a code of "groceries" for the rewards portion of any of these cards? How would you guys arrange it to reap maximum rewards and show good use?

Bottom line is don't use the cards for things you would not normally buy anyway. Put as much of your normal spend on your cards as possible. Assuming you have met your signup bonuses what I would do is look at which card you want to build the best history with (for example which lender is most likely to give you an auto cli or best rewards or that you want to establish a strong history with) and focus on that card (putting small expenses on the other cards). Pay all cards but one in full each month before statement cuts. Let the balance on one card report (do not carry the balance just let the statement cut) and try to keep your overall util below 10%. If you want to focus on all cards then just rotate each month which card gets the bulk of your spend, but only let balances show on one card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 6
CelticLady
Regular Contributor

@zsepthenne wrote:

I get 2% for all my purchases at the Super Walmart with my Barclay Rewards card. I've also gotten the 2% at RiteAid and Walgreens (drugstores) and at little corner quickstop type markets.

Wells Fargo Propel / AMEX BCE / Cap1 QS WMC / Chase Freedom / Cap1 QS / Discover it / Cap1 QSO / Chase Amazon Visa / PayPal CBMC /
Message 3 of 6
zsepthenne
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the advice Red, that's helpful. I can't figure out which lender I want to focus on more lol. I want them all close to me!

I figure I'll throw all utilities on Barclay, and distribute gas and groceries and miscellaneous on the other two. Does anybody know if Walmart shows up as a "grocery" code for rewards points/cashback? If that's the case I'll sock drawer my Walmart card for now.

Beginning Scores 9/2013: EX 651, TU 639 Short term goals: Scores in the mid 700s 1/15 TU08 701| 4/2018 TU08 800!! |11/2019 TU 785
CapOne Quicksilver $5000 | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard $6900 | Amex Everyday $15000 | Discover It $13000 | Cap One Walmart Mastercard $8000 | BofA Cash Rewards $3200 | CareCredit $7200 | Citibank Double Cash $10500 | Chase AARP $5500
Message 4 of 6
zsepthenne
Regular Contributor

@CelticLady wrote:

@zsepthenne wrote:

I get 2% for all my purchases at the Super Walmart with my Barclay Rewards card. I've also gotten the 2% at RiteAid and Walgreens (drugstores) and at little corner quickstop type markets.

Obviously, I'm a slow typist! Oh great! I'll sock drawer my Walmart for now. I think someone mentioned CVS at some point for rewards too hmmmm

Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@zsepthenne wrote:

The question is, how do I show good usage on all these cards when I have a low income, 24k? 

Not sure what you mean,  As stated above, you shouldn't spend what you wouldn't spend within your means.  What do you specifically mean by "good usage"?  Are you referring to usage in hopes of CLI's and such or are you asking about utilization?

@zsepthenne wrote:

Does anybody know if Walmart shows up as a "grocery" code for rewards points/cashback?.

Generally no but you'd need to confirm with your creditors.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.