Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on second card

Okay, six months it is then lol.
Message 21 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you typo your birthyear and then fix it on the app if they like what they see? 

Message 22 of 26
Open123
Super Contributor

Aside from a momentary drop in score, a single HP is meaningless.  

I don't view the HP a waste, but rather an indication that at this moment, your credit is insufficient for new unsecured revolving TLs.  In general, after a declination, you should (1) request a free hard copy of your report, and (2) review and address the reasons for the decline.  In general, waiting for 6 months before another app after a declination is both prudent and standard practice.

From my experience and reading of others, I suggest the following during the building phase:

1. Refrain from app'ing for 6 months.

2. Use your Discover for all of your bills.  Of course, pay your obligations by the due date.

3. In 6 months, if you can, open up 3 TLs - ideally, with an HP in each CRA.

4. This is important.  Each TL ideally should be a "Prime" Lender (Chase, BofA, Amex, Citi, US Bank, Cap One, Wells, etc...) and NO ANNUAL FEE.

5. If possible, reach 5 no annual fee TLs asap each with a different lender.

Many will disagree and find my recommendation too ambitious, but it will yield better results.  If I were building/rebuilding today, it is exactly what I would do.

Several years ago, based on Fico's algorithms (assuming they haven't drastically changed), I informally calculated the score's ascent comparing a few TLs vs. a larger amount.  All things equal, a greater number of initial TLs (5, beyond that you're hitting diminishing returns) leads ultimately to a higher score and thicker file in less time.  Not sure if we can find it, but, if memory serves, Revelate had a post illustrating this very dynamic.

In the end, far and away the most important is to use your cards and meet your obligations. 

Good luck!

*Edited*  PS - By the way, if you can be added as an AU on a 20 or 30 year TL with perfect payment history (like your Parents or family friend), in 6 months, you'll probably be auto approved for 2 or 3 accounts immediately with the above mentioned lenders.

Message 23 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice!
Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes Open!

for Christmas, I am literally asking my Mother to be added as an AU. I don't want a card, I don't want access, I just want AU status on a 30+ yr old CC account. 

With the genius idea of getting a positive trade line so early in life, in 10yrs, before you're even 30! You'll be fighting high tier lenders off with a stick due to your history.

Message 25 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, my TU fico from Discover was 664

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.