Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on the order in which I should apply for two credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on the order in which I should apply for two credit cards

Hi all, 

After years of credit repair, I'm ready to expand from my two low-limit cards ($500 CapOne and $1,700 Barclays/Juniper). MyFico score as of today is 720 and it's not going to get much better, since my balances are at zero. I'm looking to apply for a two types of cards:

* one with a long-term a zero-percent interest offer (I'm thinking one of the Citi products — most likely Platinum Select or Simplicity that currently offer 21 months of zero-percent interest) to finanance about $2,600 in computer equipment, and

* a good, day-to-day rewards card (I'm thinking Chase Freedom).

Now, I know my score is right on the cusp ... which should I apply for first and which second (after the hardpull of a credit application lowers my score?).

Thanks for your insight.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on the order in which I should apply for two credit cards

I read elsewhere that any previous relationships with the issuer might influence a card-approval decision — I have my 16-month-old mortgage (always paid on time) through Chase. 

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It all depends on which CRA's each of those two CCC's you are looking into getting pull, one may pull EQ and the other may pull EX, even with that said, if you did both apps the same day one after another, even if they both pull from the same CRA the hard from the first should not show immediately (I may be wrong).

If I were in your shoes and wanted to do what you're wanting to do, I'd do both apps one after another.

Just my 0.01

Best of Luck!!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Chase application says people should not have seriously delinquent accounts on record. I have a couple ... but they're 5+ years old. Would that completely sink my chances?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The Chase application says people should not have seriously delinquent accounts on record. I have a couple ... but they're 5+ years old. Would that completely sink my chances?

That is a good question that I'm sure someone that has been in this situation while apping for a Chase CC will chime in and give you an answer.

I don't see any harm in calling Chase New Acct's Dept and asking them.

Message 5 of 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all, 

After years of credit repair, I'm ready to expand from my two low-limit cards ($500 CapOne and $1,700 Barclays/Juniper). MyFico score as of today is 720 and it's not going to get much better, since my balances are at zero. I'm looking to apply for a two types of cards:

* one with a long-term a zero-percent interest offer (I'm thinking one of the Citi products — most likely Platinum Select or Simplicity that currently offer 21 months of zero-percent interest) to finanance about $2,600 in computer equipment, and

* a good, day-to-day rewards card (I'm thinking Chase Freedom).

Now, I know my score is right on the cusp ... which should I apply for first and which second (after the hardpull of a credit application lowers my score?).

Thanks for your insight.

Sounds like the 0% is the most important, so I would wait on the rewards card.  

Capital One has some 0% APR cards as well, which you might consider.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.