Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on when to apply?

tag
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice on when to apply?

Well, paying them off at 0% to avoid mega-interest is definetely a wise move. Congratulations for having a well thought out financial plan anyway.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 21 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RW771 wrote:

Unfortunately we have to put the money we get back from our taxes towards the cards. The Home Depot card is what we used to buy a washer and dryer (we didn't have them since we lived in an apartment) and the furniture store card was for our couches we needed. The Home Depot card only gives us 6 months (so until June) to pay it off with 0% int and then jumps up to something like 20 something %! The furniture store card only gives us a year with no int and then jumps up even higher! So in order to avoid getting ourselves into a major financial mess of only paying the minimums, we absolutely have to pay these cards off.

I am only 27 but have been working on my credit for some time in order to purchase my first home. It only makes sense, considering rates are so low and my house payment is less than my rent was, not to mention I'm actually building up equity and not flushing it away in rent each month.

If I paid off the HD and furniture cards like I'm wanting to, then get the cc I'd like to get and pay the wedding finances off with it, that would be my only revolving debt.

Thanks for your input!

That's a great plan! What CC do you want to get? How many inquiries do you have on each CRA? Also do you have any baddies?

Message 22 of 23
RW771
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@RW771 wrote:

Unfortunately we have to put the money we get back from our taxes towards the cards. The Home Depot card is what we used to buy a washer and dryer (we didn't have them since we lived in an apartment) and the furniture store card was for our couches we needed. The Home Depot card only gives us 6 months (so until June) to pay it off with 0% int and then jumps up to something like 20 something %! The furniture store card only gives us a year with no int and then jumps up even higher! So in order to avoid getting ourselves into a major financial mess of only paying the minimums, we absolutely have to pay these cards off.

I am only 27 but have been working on my credit for some time in order to purchase my first home. It only makes sense, considering rates are so low and my house payment is less than my rent was, not to mention I'm actually building up equity and not flushing it away in rent each month.

If I paid off the HD and furniture cards like I'm wanting to, then get the cc I'd like to get and pay the wedding finances off with it, that would be my only revolving debt.

Thanks for your input!

That's a great plan! What CC do you want to get? How many inquiries do you have on each CRA? Also do you have any baddies?

Thank you both! I don't know which CC to apply for...I was kind of hoping people would give me some suggestions on this thread lol. I know my score seems a little low and has dropped quite a bit since I bought my house last month but EQ is always my lowest so I really think I'm somewhere in the 660's, and hope to bring it up after paying those 2 cards way down. Here is what is all on my CR:

Positive accts:

Student loan: $8700 remaining (never late)

Mortgage loan (hasn't appeared on my credit yet...closed on 12/07/11)

2 Share secured Visa cards: Both with $500 CL's that I pay down and report $0 each month (no lates)

Kohl's car: $300 CL that I pay down and report $0 each month (no lates)

Negative accts:

GECRB/Sams chargeoff: $0 (has been PIF for years and scheduled to fall off 06/2013)

GECRB/Walmart chargeoff: $0 (has been PIF for years and scheduled to fall off 11/2013)

RCS/Samuels chargeoff: $0 (has been PIF for years and scheduled to fall off 01/2014)

Certified collectors (medical collection): $0 PIF for years and scheduled to fall off 04/2014

Equidata (collection): $0 PIF for years and scheduled to fall off 07/2014

Aside from the above adverse accounts (which have all been PIF for some time), everything else is in good standing. Of all the baddies I started with, these are all that I have left and are quite a bit old as you can see. As far as inquiries go, I only have the 3 with all 3 CRA's: The one from Home Depot, the furniture card, and of course my lender who my mortgage is through.

*I opted out several months ago in the event some sneaky old collectors tried to tag my credit once they saw I was shopping around for my mortgage loan. I'm sure I'd be getting some offers in the mail if I opted back in but I haven't done so yet. I'm guessing I probably should so that I'll know what is available to me, just wanted to make sure nothing would come up and keep me from getting my mortgage loan at the last minute and enjoyed not getting all of the junk mail lol.

05/31/2013 672 EQ (Fico), 03/08/2012 697 TU (Fico)

Closed on my first home 12/07/11! Officially a homeowner, thanks to this forum!!!

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.