Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on which CC to use for big purchase

tag
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Advice on which CC to use for big purchase

Hi all,

So I'm looking to make a ~$1200 purchase on a new computer. However, I would greatly prefer to put it on a card and pay it off during the Summer when I will be working fulltime again. I don't want to delve into my savings if possible. Right now I'm in school, so my income is much more limited. So I'm trying to figure out the best card I should put this balance on.

One option is my AMEX BCE. It has a $10k limit and zero balance at the moment. I have 0% intro APR through October 2015, so I would certainly have it paid off by then. This seems like the ideal card, but I'm worried about carrying such a hefty balance on an Amex. I don't want them lowering my CL or pursuing any other AA against me. 

Another option is my Citi DC. I have 0% APR for another 12-18 months, so that wouldn't be a problem either. However, I am currently carrying a balance of $600 that I don't plan on paying off immediately as well. However, my CL is only $5,200, so adding $1200 to that would greatly increase my util.

My third option is my Discover which has 0% APR through September. However, it only has a $3k CL with roughly $800 on it that I'm carrying for emergency vet bills from my dog last year. I could pay it all off, but I'd rather hold it until I start working full time again starting in late May.

Obviously the BCE is my first choice. But my main worry is carrying such a hefty balance on an AMEX card. I really don't want to get AA'd because I really value my relationship with them. I hear Amex also doesn't like consecutive minimum payments, so is there a magic amount I should try to pay off each month?

I'm also concerned that I might spook lenders like Barclays by adding $1200 to my overall util. And I definitely don't want to do that. The computer isn't an absolute necessity, but my current one is on its last leg and I'm really not sure how much longer it's going to last. 

I have no intention of any future apps for at least the next six months, so a lower FICO score in the interim from a slightly higher Util does not worry me.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on which CC to use for big purchase

Just use the AMEX. You have a ton of padding on it.
Message 2 of 19
core
Valued Contributor

I think you're worrying far too much over what $1200 will do to your util, given your limits.  Especially if you're not planning on applying for anything soon.  I would be very surprised if any of your creditors even blinked, no matter which card you put it on.

I'd go for the best cash back I could rather than worrying about what some company might think about a relatively small charge.  Where are you buying the computer?   Amazon?  Gas stations sell Amazon cards.  Get 5% cash back on that computer.  That's what I would do.

Message 3 of 19
madmann26
Valued Contributor

@mikelo22 wrote:

Hi all,

So I'm looking to make a ~$1200 purchase on a new computer. However, I would greatly prefer to put it on a card and pay it off during the Summer when I will be working fulltime again. I don't want to delve into my savings if possible. Right now I'm in school, so my income is much more limited. So I'm trying to figure out the best card I should put this balance on.

One option is my AMEX BCE. It has a $10k limit and zero balance at the moment. I have 0% intro APR through October 2015, so I would certainly have it paid off by then. This seems like the ideal card, but I'm worried about carrying such a hefty balance on an Amex. I don't want them lowering my CL or pursuing any other AA against me. 

Another option is my Citi DC. I have 0% APR for another 12-18 months, so that wouldn't be a problem either. However, I am currently carrying a balance of $600 that I don't plan on paying off immediately as well. However, my CL is only $5,200, so adding $1200 to that would greatly increase my util.

My third option is my Discover which has 0% APR through September. However, it only has a $3k CL with roughly $800 on it that I'm carrying for emergency vet bills from my dog last year. I could pay it all off, but I'd rather hold it until I start working full time again starting in late May.

Obviously the BCE is my first choice. But my main worry is carrying such a hefty balance on an AMEX card. I really don't want to get AA'd because I really value my relationship with them. I hear Amex also doesn't like consecutive minimum payments, so is there a magic amount I should try to pay off each month?

I'm also concerned that I might spook lenders like Barclays by adding $1200 to my overall util. And I definitely don't want to do that. The computer isn't an absolute necessity, but my current one is on its last leg and I'm really not sure how much longer it's going to last. 

I have no intention of any future apps for at least the next six months, so a lower FICO score in the interim from a slightly higher Util does not worry me.

That is not a hefty balance on the Amex. I had LOL when I read that.

It's 12% util on the card. I wouldn't worry about it.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 4 of 19
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Haha, thanks guys. I'm just a worry wart sometimes, espcially with Amex. Smiley Tongue

I plan on buying all the parts separately and building it myself most likely. Just so much cheaper that way. So I'll likely be buying off Newegg.

Message 5 of 19
madmann26
Valued Contributor

@mikelo22 wrote:

Haha, thanks guys. I'm just a worry wart sometimes, espcially with Amex. Smiley Tongue

I plan on buying all the parts separately and building it myself most likely. Just so much cheaper that way. So I'll likely be buying off Newegg.

Research. Get a going list and look at http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/ as a comparison. You might save some money.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would go with whatever gives the best cash back. That being said, I think discover deals has a 5% bonus spend at Tiger Direct, you may want to check that out. Although in my experience Newegg seems to have the better deals.

I believe Newegg also has their own financing options and a hidden trade line. Someone my want to confirm this.
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

So many needless worries about AA. Use the card as its intended to be. The AMEX is the way to go my friend.
Message 8 of 19
bigbang91
Established Contributor

@mikelo22 wrote:

Hi all,

i would use Citi DC for 2% cashback,or if you buy your computer from Amazon,use ur sallie

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mikelo22 wrote:

Newegg is the way to go, I've been buying from them for years, I built my computer as well, and rebuilt it with more parts from newegg Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.