Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on which card(s) to apply for

tag
facutardeat
New Contributor

Re: Advice on which card(s) to apply for

@milkshakes wrote:

super late to the party, but thought i'd chime in. solid advice all around. i agree w/ CreditAddict's order of Amex --> Freedom + CSP --> BofA CLI. looks like you did your due diligence before apping (as I'd expect from an attorney!)

Re: credit karma score -- definitely YMMV. It used to be lower than my actual FICO, but now it's higher oddly enough. I use it mainly as an indicator of where you stand -- what's being reported, making sure you don't have outstanding unpaid balances, derogs, etc. so you look good from that standpoint (also, now you know CK was selling you a bit short!).

Re: Amex ED and CSP combo -- yeah, they work super well together, as long as you're the type of person who can easily put 20 purchases on the ED every month (read: lots of small purchases.)

CSP data point: i had one $2k CLI card BofA card when I applied for CSP and got approved. Also, not sure what your monthly expenses are like, but in-branch there might be a better Chase Sapphire Preferred offer (40k points after 2k spend instead of 3k spend. so hopefully it's still up). so best of luck with that. also, i was making less than you at the time. 

time to just jump into the water and apply. you pulled your scores and they look pretty great, so i think your chances are pretty strong. we're all excited to see how it goes :].

Thank you for all the info Smiley Happy

I know that I will easily be able to put 30+ purchases on the card, hence my interest in the EveryDay Preferred.

It's great to hear from another person who did not have an existing $5,000 CL card when approved for the CSP.  There are a few Chase branch locations near me, so maybe I'll try my luck and stop in there.

Looking forward to hopefully posting some positive news soon Smiley Happy

As of 5/23/14, via myFICO EQ 779 | TU 762 | EX 795

As of 5/22/14 Credit Sesame 746 | Credit Karma 754

AmEx EveryDay Preferred $2,000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred $11,000 | Chase Freedom $8,000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Platinum Plus $5,200
Message 51 of 71
facutardeat
New Contributor

Yet another update:

I left the office early today and decided to apply as soon as I got home.

I was instantly approved for the AmEx EveryDay Preferred.  I can't find my CL anywhere though - not on the approval screen or in the email confirmation I received.  Am I just blind?

I then applied for the Chase Freedom and was instantly approved.  $8,000 CL, 13.99% APR.  Great news!

I then applied for the CSP and unfortunately got the "Application Pending" screen.  "We'll contact you within 7-10 days."  Should I be looking for an email from them?  Should I call right away to ask for a reconsideration?  Definitely bummed as I was hoping for a 3-for-3 instant approval Smiley Sad

Thank you again for all of the advice you all have given me thus far.  I will start a separate thread in the "Approvals" forum in a bit.

AmEx EveryDay Preferred $2,000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred $11,000 | Chase Freedom $8,000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Platinum Plus $5,200
Message 52 of 71
AkashV
Established Member

Congrads on you approval and great interest rates.... Envy

Message 53 of 71
facutardeat
New Contributor

@AkashV wrote:

Congrads on you approval and great interest rates.... Envy

Thank you!  I'm really hoping the CSP works out!  

Message 54 of 71
xsvspd
Regular Contributor

You do need to call, I just can't find the number... (so many threads, which one was it?). I had to do the same thing.
Hover over card to see limits

Starting score 3/2013 - 585. Score as of 5/2014 - 725.
Message 55 of 71
xsvspd
Regular Contributor

1-888-245-0625

Message 56 of 71
xsvspd
Regular Contributor

I believe someone is there 24/7...

Message 57 of 71
facutardeat
New Contributor

I just called that number, as well as 888-270-2127 (taken from this thread) and just get beeping-dial tones Smiley Sad

Message 58 of 71
xsvspd
Regular Contributor

Odd. I just called it and get right thru.

Message 59 of 71
xsvspd
Regular Contributor

Are you calling from your cell? Or thru google voice?

Message 60 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.