Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise From CSP Holders

tag
ElMayimbe
Contributor

Advise From CSP Holders

I'm looking for some advise regarding app'ing for the CSP card. I'm trying to gauge odds of approval, so I'll give you guys a break down of my credit profile so that I can get some feedback regarding approval odds. Credit profile:

Avg. Age- 3 years 1 month

FICO score as of 12/31/12 698

7 hard inquiries 

Current CC and Limits in Siggy

Baddies: 8 30day late payments, between years 2010/2011- Santander (auto loan)

If anyone is familiar with Santander you will know they have a notorious reputation for reporting incorrect information to credit agencies. Long story short, I filed disputes, wrote letter to BBB, investigated and only had two lates removed-- the 8 stayed. I paid off loan and got out from under Santander. Hoping I can recon CSP if this is questioned. 

So, what do you guys think?

BofA Amex $7500| Discover IT- $10K| Chase Sapphire Preferred $10k | Cap One $2000| Citi Hilton Reserve $10k
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

Re: Advise From CSP Holders

@ElMayimbe wrote:

I'm looking for some advise regarding app'ing for the CSP card. I'm trying to gauge odds of approval, so I'll give you guys a break down of my credit profile so that I can get some feedback regarding approval odds. Credit profile:

7 hard inquiries 

If anyone is familiar with Santander you will know they have a notorious reputation for reporting incorrect information to credit agencies. Long story short, I filed disputes, wrote letter to BBB, investigated and only had two lates removed-- the 8 stayed. I paid off loan and got out from under Santander. Hoping I can recon CSP if this is questioned. 

i dont want to burst your bubble but it looks like you may not get it. chase is a hard bank and the csp is even harder...i got it last week with about 3-5 INQs and 50% UTL but I  have the freedom at a $1500 limit as as bank at chase. my last baddie was from 2007 with two lates showing up in the past year 1.5 becasue when i wanted GE to report it paid the refuesed and just reported as  a CO 2x.  my AAoA was about 2-3 years and scores were a lower then yours. your best bet is to get the freedom first and work with that and hold it for at least 6 months and then try for the CSP. With the CSP the min limit is $5k with the freedom then can start you at $500 but with your scores and cards they will start a bit higher. 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 2 of 10
adavis425
Established Contributor

@ElMayimbe wrote:

7 hard inquiries 

You have the cl they'll be looking for, but I think the 8 lates will do you in. Chase is a stickler for derogs. Of course, YMMV. The FICO may be close enough, I know they like scores in the 700s. How recent are the inqs? They'll question you about recent credit apps, but if you have a ready answer, no prob.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 3 of 10
afbar1114
Valued Contributor

i cant say why i got united and CSP 5 days apart but my scores were around 638-660. so who knows really maybe freedom helped. 

AMEX PRG; AMEX EveryDay $14,800; Freedom $6k; Sapphire $7k; IHG Select $5k; Discover $2,400; BofA Better Balance $9,100; Bank Americard $5,900; Citi DC $2,700; Citi Diamond $2,500; BestBuy $20,000; Amazon Prime $5k, United Club $15,000; Home Depot $20,000; Barclays $7,500

Total Credit Limits: $122,650
Message 4 of 10
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I think everything looks good except those lates, I think once there are 3-4 years old Chase will look past them but not right not...  are they really lates or were they just reported incorrectly?

if they were reported incorrectly you might be able to get past that in the RECON, just be prepared to recon twice.... 

I have a pretty good looking file (5+years AAoA, 100% on time, under 10% utl, 715+ FICO) and had to recon twice to get the CSP last week becuse of a c/o of 400 from 2006, which is my only negative...

I think it will all come down to whoever you RECON with....

I've also found out that if you call later in the evening the loan officers are way nicer and will take more time to talk to you and look over your stuff, i'm assuming that's just because it's not so busy for them

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 5 of 10
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@ElMayimbe wrote:

7 hard inquiries 

The Good:  From your signature, you've got 2 good limit cards.  Chase (usually)  likes to see another $5K+ card in a file

The OK: Your AAofA is not bad/not great.  Your FICO might hold you back some.  Is that 698 TU or EQ?  Have any idea what your EX might be?  Chase (usually) likes to see 720+ scores for CSP.  Chase will/have approved for other cards with lower scores, but in general CSP is a harder card to get. 

The Iffy:  Those 7 inquiries, depending on how they are spread out.  Chase (usually) pulls EX, so if all 7 are EX and not likely to fall off soon, that's gonna hurt.  If, however, the 7 INQ are spread out, and say you have only 2-3 on EX, then that would not hurt you as much. 

The Bad:  Those Lates.  They're gonna kill your chances, unfortunately.  As others have stated, if they were a bit older, they may not have as much effect.  But Chase is (usually) not very forgiving on fairly recent lates, particularly for CSP.   Dunno what other action you could take regarding these lates.  Recon if denied?  Maybe.  YMMV.

Message 6 of 10
kwinks
Regular Contributor

I say try for freedom first and then after a year go for the csp. 

this is the route I took, and although not ideal it's definitely an easier/ little more safe route Because it allows you to establish credit with them so they can see your purchase and payment pattern. And I personally loooove my freedom, I've made close to $600 in rewards Smiley Happy

However, to be brutally honest I am not even 100% sure you will be approved for freedom but you'd have a better chance at reconning this vs csp. 

Message 7 of 10
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@ElMayimbe wrote:

7 hard inquiries 

Yeah like other posters stated your lates will hurt your chance, but could get approved through recon. I suggest you try for the Freedom since the CSP is harder to get. 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 8 of 10
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@ElMayimbe wrote:

7 hard inquiries 

The Good:  From your signature, you've got 2 good limit cards.  Chase (usually)  likes to see another $5K+ card in a file

The OK: Your AAofA is not bad/not great.  Your FICO might hold you back some.  Is that 698 TU or EQ?  Have any idea what your EX might be?  Chase (usually) likes to see 720+ scores for CSP.  Chase will/have approved for other cards with lower scores, but in general CSP is a harder card to get. 

The Iffy:  Those 7 inquiries, depending on how they are spread out.  Chase (usually) pulls EX, so if all 7 are EX and not likely to fall off soon, that's gonna hurt.  If, however, the 7 INQ are spread out, and say you have only 2-3 on EX, then that would not hurt you as much. 

The Bad:  Those Lates.  They're gonna kill your chances, unfortunately.  As others have stated, if they were a bit older, they may not have as much effect.  But Chase is (usually) not very forgiving on fairly recent lates, particularly for CSP.   Dunno what other action you could take regarding these lates.  Recon if denied?  Maybe.  YMMV.

+1. This about sums it up. The inqs already put you in the extremely-iffy category, while that many recent lates will absolutely sink you. You'd be better off waiting until they age.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 9 of 10
HindSight_20_20
Frequent Contributor

MAN "I love this forum"....       Just Sayin' Smiley LOL

Goal Score: EX 700|TU 700|EQ700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

HiltonHonors AMEX 2K | Amazon Store CC $800 | Bed Bath & Beyond 2K | Lowes CC 11K | Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $300 | Cap 1 Savor 1K |Citi Secured $200 | Target $500 | Kohl's $1K | Truist Cashback 4.5K | Penfed Power Cash Back 3.5K |Apple Pay CC 3K | Venmo Sig Visa 7.5K | SECU 13.5K | Bragg Mutual FCU 10K | Best Buy Citi Visa $2.5K | DiscoverIT CB 11.5K
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.