Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise Me on My Next Move

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advise Me on My Next Move

Hi, new here, but been reading the forums for advice for several months, and would love some guidance on how to proceed. The BF and I are discussing marriage and I can't stick him with my crap credit so all advice is greatly appreciated. This is my story:

Moved to a new apt in summer of '02 and a few months later lost my job during a corp restructure. (I "permalance") It was about 5 months before my job was back on track, but I let my 2 CC's go to collections. It was that, or not pay rent. I paid the collections (Cap 1 $1281 and Providian $3800) and made the decision to live CC free b/c I had no idea I would qualify for any CC until the collections fell off my CR, and didn't want a secured card since many issuers are shady.

December of '07 got a pre-approval from Cap 1. Thought it was weird since they'd sent me to collections 5 yrs before, but thought what the heck and applied. Denied. Wish I knew they blacklist back then. However, Cap 1 has fallen off my reports since. No idea why. Hasn't been 7 years, and I didn't beg, but I'm gonna run with itSmiley Wink

This spring I got proactive about fixing it, so I got all 3 CR's and FICO's were around 570. Also had to fix EQ and TU who were reporting my SS# wrong. Took care of that. Applied for a Credit One card. Approved with a $200 limit. Useless, but a start. Been charging small amounts and paying it off every month.

As of July FICO's were all slightly above 600, so thought I'd try for another CC. Approved by Household Bank $750 limit. I was expecting another $200 deal so it was nice.

My main questions are these:

Where do I go from here?
Thought I'd hold off applying for more CC's til  Dec-Jan when I want to try for the BoA 99/50. WaMu won't approve me b/c of Providian, and I'm not trying again with Cap 1. On principal I can't get behind the Hooters card even if it is great for rebuilders. Can't do it. No family in the military so the NFCU won't work. I live in NYC and CU's in general don't seem to exist here unless you live in an economically depressed neighborhood which I don't. I would also like the oppurtunity for more prime cards rather than fill my wallet with sub primes which is why BoA is appealing. Also I read Chase approves lower limits?

I need help understanding util. I know to keep it under 10%, but is that usage in general? Or is that carry over balance? I'm terribly confused by some of the things I read.

Do I leave a small balance on 1 card to show managment of revolving credit?
I keep seeing PIF, PIF, balance, PIF, but is that the right?

I just want out of this mess. I have no student loans, tax liens, medical bills, mortgage, bk, nothing but the CC collections from '02. Of course I also have had nothing reporting b/t then and this May. Have lived in my current apt for 2.5 years, and make about 65-70k a year. Would love to raise those scores and one day have an AMEX (I lust) That's probably years away, but a girl can dream.

I know this was insanely long, but maybe somebody is bored and wants to share their sage advice? It is much appreciated.  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advise Me on My Next Move

With clean reports, which you will have soon, you'll be fine getting a BoA CC. They might approve you now.

You said you were around 570 ~4 months ago. You might be in the 600's now. If BoA declines for Visa, they sometimes offer the 99/500.

As far as UTIL, you only have 2 CCs? Don't let more than one (more than 1/2 in general), report a balance. Don't let more than 9% of your CL report at all. The way to do this is to pay before statement date. Find your statement date, not due date, from the date your statements close. Then make sure you pay before the statement date.

Message 2 of 7
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

OP stated she's already above 600 since July.  I agree with BofA, because if they deny you, you will almost certainly get the 99/500 semi-secured card that will graduate into a decent limit card in 9-12 months and build great history.  Plus its a card you'll never get rid of like other "rebuilders," since it will probably wind up being one of your highest limits down the road.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys. Yeah, I think I'm gonna try BoA this winter when these accts have aged 6 mo or so. I'm not assuming they'll approve me for unsecured credit with $950 total CL's on 2 CC's, but I would be thrilled to get the 99/500. It looks like they really grow w/ you and everyone here has good things to say about them.
Message 4 of 7
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks guys. Yeah, I think I'm gonna try BoA this winter when these accts have aged 6 mo or so. I'm not assuming they'll approve me for unsecured credit with $950 total CL's on 2 CC's, but I would be thrilled to get the 99/500. It looks like they really grow w/ you and everyone here has good things to say about them.

Even if they offer the fully secured card, it is great for rebuilding. It will also graduate with you with 9-12 months of positive account usage.

The BOA rebuilders are the best in the business!
Here we go again...
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

lydiadietz wrote:

I live in NYC and CU's in general don't seem to exist here unless you live in an economically depressed neighborhood which I don't.
Yeah, tell me about it.  I also live in NYC and have been keeping my eyes out for a residence-based CU for quite some time, but to no avail.  If you find one, please don't hesitate to let me know, and I'll do the same.

Are you in Brooklyn by chance?  The reason I ask is because many of the "economically-depressed-neighborhood" CUs that I've run across seem to be geared towards specific Brooklyn neighborhoods.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you in Brooklyn by chance?  The reason I ask is because many of the "economically-depressed-neighborhood" CUs that I've run across seem to be geared towards specific Brooklyn neighborhoods.

Nope Cheddar, I'm in Manhattan and there is the Lower East Side Peoples Federal Credit Union but I'm a hair out of District 3 and don't qualify on their other requirements either. They might be a good recommendation for others though. If you don't know about them already and want to pass it on, here's their list http://lespeoples.org/home/about/join

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.