Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise for mom

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advise for mom

Hello all

I am trying to help my mother out with her credit cards. Her score is excellent; 732 with no lates or collections etc. however she has a slightly high utilization which I am trying to help her with through a BT. It's not only for her credit score but her finances in general as she is being wiped out by a sears store card hitting her for 65 bucks a month in interest. We append for the slate and it is pending, cap1 denied her for the platinum prestige. Should we try the freedom, a citi, or the discover more?? She can afford that interest but its just not right for her to be paying so muvh a month and support on that card sucks.

Thanks so much all... looking forwards to your opinions
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Advise for mom

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello all

I am trying to help my mother out with her credit cards. Her score is excellent; 732 with no lates or collections etc. however she has a slightly high utilization which I am trying to help her with through a BT. It's not only for her credit score but her finances in general as she is being wiped out by a sears store card hitting her for 65 bucks a month in interest. We append for the slate and it is pending, cap1 denied her for the platinum prestige. Should we try the freedom, a citi, or the discover more?? She can afford that interest but its just not right for her to be paying so muvh a month and support on that card sucks.

Thanks so much all... looking forwards to your opinions

I would recommend Barclay's Reward MC.

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=1654&cellNumber=3&referrerid=BCUSORGOG1

-0% BT's for 15 months (3% fee)

-0% Purchases 15 months

-$50 CB on 1st purchase

-No AF

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 17
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Citi diamond and discover more have generous BT terms. I would look at both of those cards. Does she have other cards that she manages well? Is the sears card the only instance where she has spent beyond her means to pay it off in full?

I wouldn't encourage her to apply for more cards. Slate is fine for her needs. What are her current cards and balances?
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem with the sears is her deadbeat boyfriend was supposed to pay it before the interest free period ended and he didn't so she got hit with 510 dollars interest in August

The thing is the slate is pending and I don't know if she got accepted. She isn't a CC person like us. She has a few store cards she pays in full and a USAA rewards but that's it. Should I put in a few other apps tonight? I'm worried if cap1 denied her for the plat prestige she won't get the slate...
Message 4 of 17
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Chase hates high UTL when you apply. Is there anyway to pay down the balance some even if just juggling the money, Put bills on a credit card or take money out of savings and pay down the Sears card then apply for Chase Slate and then balance transfer to get things under control. If she has only one card and no savings or way to make the UTL seem lower she doesn't have much chance with Chase. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you think I should app freedom as well or see if slate is denied and call recons for a freedom?

What about citi or discover? There has got to be something out there for her...
Message 6 of 17
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Idk... What's her overall util? I got a $5k Chase Freedom on recon with about 10% overall util but very high util on one card. I had to fight for it though lollll!

When in doubt, call recon!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will definitely call chase recon if they do deny her.. it's pending so ill keep fingers crossed. Should I put in for the freedom as well? Also are there any other CC I should try for her tonight?
Message 8 of 17
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Citi diamond
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok... no discover?
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.