cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advise please - how to end up with 2-3 cards without losing limits!

tag
gstq34
Contributor

Advise please - how to end up with 2-3 cards without losing limits!

OK so I have been rebuilding and wound up with many cards in the 5k limit range.  Outliers are Discover and Amex Delta with lower limits. (I will 3x Amex at 60 days) So how do I successfully end up with just 2-3 cards and maintain aprrox 30k in limits?!!?  I'm ready to consolidate but don't want my UTL to suffer as a result.  BTW been PIF a lot lately and some of my cards already went from 2k to 5k via CLI (soft)

Thanks for help and MANY THANKS for all past info that has helped me get this far. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 573
Current Score: 764 EX (FAKO)
Goal Score: 760 all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Advise please - how to end of with 2-3 cards without losing limits!

Certain lenders allow you to consolidate CLs for different cards that you have under them.

You can't move CL across different lenders, if that's what you're trying to ask about.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 8
gstq34
Contributor

Re: Advise please - how to end up with 2-3 cards without losing limits!

Fixed spelling Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

can you list all the cards you have and their relative age?

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 8
gstq34
Contributor

Closed OLD capital one cards at $2250 they would not raise limit

HSN - 3 years - 2k always, never moved - PIF and ready to close (may leave open for AAoA)

USAA Amex - 4k - 15 months - never moved my limit so closing them out. PIF

Chase Slate - 5k  - 13 months (getting moved to sapphire preferred signature - unknown limit) 1st siggy!  WOOT!

GE/Amazon - 2.5k  - 1 yr

Chase ink business (world card)  - 3 months - NPSL assuming soft 5k limit

Barclays - NEW - 5k

Citi Simplicity - NEW - 3.5k (asking for recon on limit)

Discover - NEW - 1k - 6mo wait to recon limit Smiley Sad I may close it - to hard to manage 1k

Amex Delta - NEW - 2k-  will 3X limit at 60 days

Mortgage and Auto loans in profile all good.  I think the above is roughlty most of it. Auth user on other accounts ranging from 5-12k

I just want less stuff to mange without losing available limits for UTL reasons!

Message 5 of 8
gstq34
Contributor

I replied but not sure if it went under your post....

Message 6 of 8
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@gstq34 wrote:

HSN - 3 years - 2k always, never moved - PIF and ready to close (may leave open for AAoA)

Chase Slate - 5k  - 13 months (getting moved to sapphire preferred signature - unknown limit) 1st siggy!  WOOT!

GE/Amazon - 2.5k  - 1 yr

Barclays - NEW - 5k

Discover - NEW - 1k - 6mo wait to recon limit Smiley Sad I may close it - to hard to manage 1k

Mortgage and Auto loans in profile all good.  I think the above is roughlty most of it. Auth user on other accounts ranging from 5-12k

I just want less stuff to mange without losing available limits for UTL reasons!

I don't know how you can remain at the same available CL if you want to just close all of the cards that you can't get CLIs on. You will lose the available CLs by closing those accounts. I think it's possible to get high CLs with only a couple of cards though but you're not going to get it overnight either. I would app for another Amex revolver so that you can try the 3x cli magic on that. I would actually just app for the CSP separately and move the CL from the Slate to the CSP. and then you can work on the CSP's CL. As for Discover, if you read the forums, there are numerous posts complaining about how difficult it is to get CLIs from Discover despite perfect payment history and/or heavy usage. So YMMV on that one. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 7 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@parakleet wrote:

@gstq34 wrote:

GE/Amazon - 2.5k  - 1 yr

Barclays - NEW - 5k

I don't know how you can remain at the same available CL if you want to just close all of the cards that you can't get CLIs on. You will lose the available CLs by closing those accounts. I think it's possible to get high CLs with only a couple of cards though but you're not going to get it overnight either. I would app for another Amex revolver so that you can try the 3x cli magic on that. I would actually just app for the CSP separately and move the CL from the Slate to the CSP. and then you can work on the CSP's CL. As for Discover, if you read the forums, there are numerous posts complaining about how difficult it is to get CLIs from Discover despite perfect payment history and/or heavy usage. So YMMV on that one. 

I would keep them open as well, auto luv happens with good usage.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.