Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Af's and cashback

tag
motiv8ed2getthescoreup
Regular Contributor

Af's and cashback

Is it okay to keep a card with an af if it is giving cash back? The cash back isn't a large amount, but it does pay the af.  My friend has pretty decent credit, and i'm not sure what to advise her. It's her second oldest card. She doesn't have a lot of credit available, not because of utility, but because her cl that report are relatively small.

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: TU 764 EQ 721 EX 768
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Af's and cashback

Regardless of whether there is cash back or not, it may be in one's interest to have a card with an AF for some reason.  I do, because it currently has my highest CL.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@motiv8ed2getthescoreup wrote:

Is it okay to keep a card with an af if it is giving cash back? The cash back isn't a large amount, but it does pay the af.  My friend has pretty decent credit, and i'm not sure what to advise her. It's her second oldest card. She doesn't have a lot of credit available, not because of utility, but because her cl that report are relatively small.

How much is the fee?

How much is the credit line?

Whats the interest rate?

How old is the account?

Can she get no fee cards?

All of my fee cards except Amex Green, have AF under $50, lower interest rates than my others, and C lines of $2000+

a $29 annual fee on a $500 card may not be a lot if its the only card she can get.

Message 3 of 6
motiv8ed2getthescoreup
Regular Contributor

The fee is $39, but they usually cut it in half

The cl is $1550

The interest rate is 22%

The account is from 2007

She has a zync, macy's, BofA sig, cap 1, and discover, and the ob which I am speaking of. but the only two that report are the discover$2000, cap1$1050, and the ob

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

$ 39, cut in half for a 1000+ limit, not a bad deal if you ask me

and a "cost of doing business"

I would not drop it.

Message 5 of 6
motiv8ed2getthescoreup
Regular Contributor

Sounds good to me, I will past it on. Thanks!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.