Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Afraid of my Amex!!!

tag
fastalkintn
New Contributor

Afraid of my Amex!!!

I always read and study to much and it has messed me up again. I've always wanted an Amex card and finally got my BCP in today. After reading all the horror stories on here I'm afraid to use it. What if I dont make the payment before my cut date? What if I have to carry a balance for a month or two? I added my wife as an AU, will that red flag me for an audit? What if I don't use it enough and they decrease my cl? Kidding of course, but are they really that hard to deal with? Some post make them sound like a loan shark. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Afraid of my Amex!!!

@fastalkintn wrote:

I always read and study to much and it has messed me up again. I've always wanted an Amex card and finally got my BCP in today. After reading all the horror stories on here I'm afraid to use it. What if I dont make the payment before my cut date? What if I have to carry a balance for a month or two? I added my wife as an AU, will that red flag me for an audit? What if I don't use it enough and they decrease my cl? Kidding of course, but are they really that hard to deal with? Some post make them sound like a loan shark. 

Honestly, I have been utilizing their 0% APR for 15 months (i'm in my 9th month, i believe?) and not a peep from them! Even got the 3x CLI (went from $11k --> $25k). I always make sure to pay way above the minimum; I typically calculate my current balance and divide by the number of months left.

Message 2 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@fastalkintn wrote:

no they are actually very easy to deal with... online is great, they offer SP cli's always, sp declines on new apps, backdating... they are fantastic!

the FR are over done... my partner even went through one that was not even 100% good but I still think they are fantastic and even recently gave him CLI after about a year or so since the FR.

Message 3 of 16
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@fastalkintn wrote:

Worrying is overrated. Just use and PIF and you should be fine!

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 4 of 16
Involver
Valued Contributor

If you're going to worry that much about an issuing bank you probably shouldn't have apped their product.

Just use it responsibly, make your payments, don't abuse the account, and you should be fine.
Message 5 of 16
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Have had my BCP since 2007 and used it very liberally.  CL went up to aroun $10k and I tried to use every bit of it.  In 2011 got myself back together and started paying it off and my CL got reduced to $1500 and boy was that a shock.  Got over it though and used sparingly, PIF'd each month, even carried a balance for a couple months early this year.  CL is up to $34k now and have a Gold DELTA AMEX and Platinum.  Be responsible and you will be fine.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 6 of 16
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@Involver wrote:
If you're going to worry that much about an issuing bank you probably shouldn't have apped their product.

Just use it responsibly, make your payments, don't abuse the account, and you should be fine.

+1

I sure wouldn't let it stress me out.  I would charge what I can pay off at the end of the month and just let it be.  

I also used to worry about PIF before the statement cut, but geez, I just don't care anymore.  Too much monitoring and all to do about nothing (unless you're apping for something Smiley Tongue).  The bill comes and I send them what I owe them.  Done.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 7 of 16
fastalkintn
New Contributor

most of what I said was in jest. But everyone talks about making sure you pif Amex before cut date. Don't they make their living by people with a balance? I don't plan on not pif just seems funny to me all the horror stories about them cutting you off if you don't pif. Don't get me wrong I'm excited to have the card and will use it, just saying a lot of people make it sound like they will break your knees if you don't play by their unwritten rules. 

Message 8 of 16
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@fastalkintn wrote:

most of what I said was in jest. But everyone talks about making sure you pif Amex before cut date. Don't they make their living by people with a balance? I don't plan on not pif just seems funny to me all the horror stories about them cutting you off if you don't pif. Don't get me wrong I'm excited to have the card and will use it, just saying a lot of people make it sound like they will break your knees if you don't play by their unwritten rules. 

Some, but mostly merchant (swipe), foreign transaction and annual fees. Remember the majority of AMEX product distribution is still the charge card, which you have to PIF every month. It's their culture, and at least anecdotally, that also kind of applies to their revolvers as well.

Message 9 of 16
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I have only been with them for about nine months, but so far they have been fine.  They even approved me for a BCP card.  I got the 7-10 day message when I did, which translated into I think 7-10 minutes....  I thought that was funny, I was on the phone trying to recon for it and had already gotten an email telling me approved...  Wierd. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.