Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After Barclay when is it safe to apply?

tag
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

After Barclay when is it safe to apply?

Ive read that Barclay is sensitive about new TL after new account. I didnt know this when I applied and received 3 new cards at once... Barclay, Discover, AMEX. Ive decided not to app for another amex for at least a year, which leaves only walmart on my list. Im not worried about being approved, just pissing off Barclay and AMEX. I would like to have all my inquires lumped together as much as possible. How long should I wait? Should i just do it? I currently have 4 inq on ex, 3 on TU, and 1 on EQ. However my AMEX wont start reporting for awhile still. So, Barclay has really only seen the INQ's if they have softed at all.. Advice?

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

Re: After Barclay when is it safe to apply?

@Jake0215 wrote:

Ive read that Barclay is sensitive about new TL after new account. I didnt know this when I applied and received 3 new cards at once... Barclay, Discover, AMEX. Ive decided not to app for another amex for at least a year, which leaves only walmart on my list. Im not worried about being approved, just pissing off Barclay and AMEX. I would like to have all my inquires lumped together as much as possible. How long should I wait? Should i just do it? I currently have 4 inq on ex, 3 on TU, and 1 on EQ. However my AMEX wont start reporting for awhile still. So, Barclay has really only seen the INQ's if they have softed at all.. Advice?

6 months is the general concensus provided Barclays was your last application.  They are very skiddish with new tradelines reporting after they've approved you, and could CLD or close it.  Their portfolio department watches the account for that period of time as a precautionary measure for the bank.  You should be fine at this point, just don't go on any app sprees during this "probationary" period with them. I would personally wait to apply for WalMart.  Others will chime in with their viewpoint, but that's just what i'd do, and as always, YMMV

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 2 of 6
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hello!

My expreience has been that they softed my TU and EX reports for 6 straight months.  Some times twice in a month just to see any activity.  I can pretty much assure you that they will be checking your accounts and probably both EX and TU. 

My advice, after speaking with Barclay Reps is to not apply for anything until the probationary period is over with them.

As alway, YMMV!

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 3 of 6
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

My understanding is they monitor new accounts for 6 months. Barclay's is my latest account, but Cap1 actually hit my reports after Barclay's even though I app'ed with them before. Needless to say, I was scared! I won't be app'ing for anything new until my 6 months is up -- which ironically is when my baddie falls off.

Tread carefully and we should be fine.

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 4 of 6
jefftca925
Established Contributor

Another issue with them (that I've read) is that they freak out when they see a sudden drastic increase of revolving debt reporting on the CBRs...especially when it is out of the normal behaviour of the cardmember.  Most people don't seem to see any AA from them after opening new accounts after their Barclays approval, but for someone with a young credit history and escalating debt, any issuer might react with a CLD or a closure.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jefftca925 wrote:

Another issue with them (that I've read) is that they freak out when they see a sudden drastic increase of revolving debt reporting on the CBRs...especially when it is out of the normal behaviour of the cardmember.  Most people don't seem to see any AA from them after opening new accounts after their Barclays approval, but for someone with a young credit history and escalating debt, any issuer might react with a CLD or a closure.

This reason couples with series of new accounts with trigger AA. I don't think people should worry that much about 6 months period if they only have 1 or 2 new accounts after barclay and can maintain util on credit report under 5% at all time and PIF barclay.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.