cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After Freedom and PRG approvals should I cancel secured BofA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

After Freedom and PRG approvals should I cancel secured BofA?

Hey everyone!

After 6 months of credit history and using this forum a lot (thank you guys!!) I finally got approved for my two goals cards.  

I now have a lot of CCs and even if it is not that much, I kinda would like to get my security deposit back from my BofA but I don't want to ask for early gradutation since I already have 8 inquiries on my report.  

April 2014: Received my SSN. 

May 2014:  Got Discover ($1k) 1st and then Cap1 ($300)

July 2014: Got BofA secured ($500)

August 2014: Got Barclaycard ($500 after recon) 

November 2014: Got Chase Freedom ($4,500!) and Amex PRG -> these are the two cards I wanted since I received my SSN, a card to pay in full my everyday purchases and another one for larger purchases I might want to pay over time).

I am curious to see how much Capital One will increase my CL since I am on the credit steps so I don't want to cancel it and I like Discover because it is my first U.S credit card. 

So I want to keep them both. 

Also, even though Barclaycard is not that great, they gave me a small CL after a short history and I do appreciate them for that. 

So I am planning to cancel my BofA secured and get my $500 back, but.. do you think I should keep it?  (I do NOT have my checking/savings  with them)

Are they gonna match for sure my Freedom as soon as the card appears on my CR? or not necessary.

My next goal (next year) is to get Amex BCE and do the 61 days CLI.

Also, does Capital One credit step program do a soft pull to give you the CLI or no..

Thanks in advance for your input!!

Will.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: After Freedom and PRG approvals should I cancel secured BofA?

BoA secured generally graduates and can turn into a 10k or more CL eventually. I wouldn't close it if you don't absolutely 100% need the $500.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: After Freedom and PRG approvals should I cancel secured BofA?

Hi Kenny!

Thank you for your answer!  I have read those threads too but it's hard to beleive that a $500 secured CL will be transformed into a 5k unsecured.. 

I do not needs the funds* but I won't be using the card anymore so I'm not sure it will help to have zero activity..  

It's just annoying to keep that account open for another 8 months so this is why I wanted to close it..

* Well maybe I can buy Christmas gifts cash this year..!

I am glad I had it but now that I got what I wanted I'm like 'meh'.. Why having a huge CLI from BofA would be good to me?

I have $6,300 credit lines all together and I'm more interested by having an Amex CC. 

I totally understand your point though, I am not sure what decision to make..

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.