Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After I pay off Chase Slate, what to do with card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: After I pay off Chase Slate, what to do with card

Not trying to hijack this thread, but DW has a slate and it has a $400 CL. Should she do the same as OP? Scores is 621(CK TU) but she just got a SW Premier w/ $5k CL last month.

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the point! Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cardanal, Absolutely, yes.
Message 13 of 24
onstar
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not trying to hijack this thread, but DW has a slate and it has a $400 CL. Should she do the same as OP? Scores is 621(CK TU) but she just got a SW Premier w/ $5k CL last month.

Glad someone else could benefit from my thread.

I originally BT ~$4000 back in September/October. Balance is down to $2300 now. I'm going to pay this off in the next 6 months and fold the CL into one of my other two Chase cards or maybe get the Marriott card and merge into that.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 14 of 24
kdm31091
Super Contributor

You can also just PC if you find another Chase card you want that's not cobranded, like Freedom. Saves the HP and combining limits steps. You'll miss out on 100 bucks in the case of the Freedom with the bonus. That may or may not be worth the HP. But you can't PC to a cobranded card so this option only works with regular Chase cards.

Just a thought though if you wanted to avoid HP.
Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 to the roll the limit into the another Chase card or apply for a new one and roll Slate limit into that.

Very Off Topic: Nixon, did you get a new NFCU card or is it just it's turn for being in your sig Smiley Wink  

Oz

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@onstar wrote:

I got a Chase Slate card a few months back to do BT 0% til December 2015. Other than the 0% interest, it really has no good features.

What do you typically do with a card you got just for BT? Close it? Should I try to PC, if so which? Wouldn't it be better to close and apply for a different card to get introductory bonuses?

Apply for a new Chase card and then roll the Slate's limit into it. Smiley Happy

+1

PCing is another option, but I dislike PCs since you lose out on introductory offers. If Chase had a low sign-up bonus but high category spending bonus card, a PC might make sense as an alternative, but I can't think of a single Chase card that meets this criteria (other than maybe Freedom if you are pairing it with a CSP for 5x points and the 10k UR intro UR offer is one you might choose to pass on to avoid an HP). But Nixon's answer is exactly what I have done every single time I closed a Chase card. 

Message 17 of 24
onstar
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
You can also just PC if you find another Chase card you want that's not cobranded, like Freedom. Saves the HP and combining limits steps. You'll miss out on 100 bucks in the case of the Freedom with the bonus. That may or may not be worth the HP. But you can't PC to a cobranded card so this option only works with regular Chase cards.

Just a thought though if you wanted to avoid HP.

Good tip. I'll revisit this thread about 6 months down the line. Maybe go the PC to Freedom route, or combine CL with either my Amazon or Southwest.

I'm officially in garden mode, so no HP til Valentines 2016.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

so i have a chase slate and a freedom.  i am about to pay off my slate.  if i combine the CL into my freedom and close the slate, does have a negative effect on my credit score for closing the account?  or does it not count as a closure since you are merging two products?

how long before you can apply again for a brand new slate with the intro offer of another balance transfer from another company?

or is there anyway to ask for another balance transfer onto the slate with the same intro offer?  i assume no but just thought id ask Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

so i have a chase slate and a freedom.  i am about to pay off my slate.  if i combine the CL into my freedom and close the slate, does have a negative effect on my credit score for closing the account?  or does it not count as a closure since you are merging two products?

how long before you can apply again for a brand new slate with the intro offer of another balance transfer from another company?

or is there anyway to ask for another balance transfer onto the slate with the same intro offer?  i assume no but just thought id ask Smiley Happy

Not at all.

I would wait until 2 years from when you first apped the Slate.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.