cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After being approved for 30 Days on Amex Platinum they call a Financial Review???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: After being approved for 30 Days on Amex Platinum they call a Financial Review???

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
And between Creditaddict and HTSU, I think we have enough of these colorful comparisons of AmEx to some crazy chick who you go go to bed with at night, and when she wakes up in the morning she goes bonkers and financial reviews your ass. 
"chick"?

Correction: "young lady".

Message 21 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: After being approved for 30 Days on Amex Platinum they call a Financial Review???

@Anonymous wrote:

lol THE GREAT AMEX Strikes again lol

Message 22 of 37
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

jaybird201 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
And between Creditaddict and HTSU, I think we have enough of these colorful comparisons of AmEx to some crazy chick who you go go to bed with at night, and when she wakes up in the morning she goes bonkers and financial reviews your ass. 
"chick"?

Smiley Very Happy

whatever
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 23 of 37
ah32
Frequent Contributor

Read all the posts here.  It doesn't matter whether you a big dog or little dog.  I also had a personal card with them.  I refused to give them a bunch of personal information, so they cancelled my card.  It didn't bother me.  I barely had used the card.  I did make one balance transfer to get the lower rate, but that was it! Ridiculous.  These "financial reviews" should be done before they give you a card, not a month into it! I would expect annual reviews, but this crap pisses me off.  Is there anything we can do as consumers except not get the card in the first place?
Message 24 of 37
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

Unfortunately, if we want to play their game then we are bound by their rules. I'm not thrilled with Amex at the moment either as they stopped my charging privileges on my Green card until I made a payment. They stopped me at about $2,100 when the previous month I ran through $3,100.

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 25 of 37
Takunda1
Established Contributor

If you have time read this article. http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/cc/20080926_hidden_credit_scores_a1.asp

There are so many triggers for Banks to review an applicant it's unbelievable. Also those FR triggers are software triggered & only the FR team can remove them. It sucks that the FR team does not work weekends though. Amex may be the most popular at doing this, but I can assure all credit card lenders are doing things like CLD etc. It's just the nature of the current economic climate.

Message 26 of 37
elsijfdl
Contributor

The saddest part about this is had you continued charging at those levels you normally should have been approaching black card invitation, I'm surprised they FR'd you.
Message 27 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
"chick"?

Smiley Very Happy

whatever

Hahahaha.

Message 28 of 37
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

For everyone that is indignant at AMEX FR'ing the OP after 30 days, lets' put the AMEX hat on.  You have a brand new cardholder with no history with you who runs up $20k in charges and PIF.  No problem, right?  Well AMEX keeps whole teams of people busy to track down fraud by people using various scams.  New cardholder pays $20k and PIF, the next month $30k and PIF, and then $60k and BOOM, he disappears, leaving AMEX holding the bag.  They have seen this thousands of times.  And the fact that the cardholder has now cancelled his card gives them another datapoint to suspect this account was headed for trouble.  I'm not saying that the OP was doing anything wrong, but it pricks AMEX's AI systems to flag it.

Gee, don't we all know that AMEX covets long term relationships and steady behaviour, none of which was in this equation?.  This case is akin to holding a knife with a six inch blade while standing in line at the x-ray machine.  It doesn't matter if you were innocently peeling an apple, this action will cause you trouble.

We live in shaky times, AMEX has no way to know if continued credit lines to this owner is a good thing as they have no data other than what is in his CR.  Maybe they saw something that tweaked their BS meter.

Again, no casting of doubt on OP's intentions, but it should cause any sane credit system to take a second look.  No charge card from AMEX is 'open', it always comes with restrictions that vary with many factors going into the equation.  Amount of charging and length of time are probably two of the biggest factors.

Message 29 of 37
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:

For everyone that is indignant at AMEX FR'ing the OP after 30 days, lets' put the AMEX hat on.  You have a brand new cardholder with no history with you who runs up $20k in charges and PIF.  No problem, right?  Well AMEX keeps whole teams of people busy to track down fraud by people using various scams.  New cardholder pays $20k and PIF, the next month $30k and PIF, and then $60k and BOOM, he disappears, leaving AMEX holding the bag.  They have seen this thousands of times.  And the fact that the cardholder has now cancelled his card gives them another datapoint to suspect this account was headed for trouble.  I'm not saying that the OP was doing anything wrong, but it pricks AMEX's AI systems to flag it.

Gee, don't we all know that AMEX covets long term relationships and steady behaviour, none of which was in this equation?.  This case is akin to holding a knife with a six inch blade while standing in line at the x-ray machine.  It doesn't matter if you were innocently peeling an apple, this action will cause you trouble.

We live in shaky times, AMEX has no way to know if continued credit lines to this owner is a good thing as they have no data other than what is in his CR.  Maybe they saw something that tweaked their BS meter.

Again, no casting of doubt on OP's intentions, but it should cause any sane credit system to take a second look.  No charge card from AMEX is 'open', it always comes with restrictions that vary with many factors going into the equation.  Amount of charging and length of time are probably two of the biggest factors.

YAY, someone said it!

besides, if you have nothing to hide a financial review takes just a few days and then you probably will never have the problem again. Building a relationship is not made with one payment, just like marriage it takes time!

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.