Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Age and credit limit laws

tag
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

Re: Age and credit limit laws

My Son is 20. Recently he received the AMEX 3X CLI from 8k to 24k.  Full time student with a part time job. Credit history since he was 16. 

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm 20 years old, I got my first full time job 6 months ago. Since then I've been easily approved for a few credit cards while my history builds. The highest thing I've got to my name is NFCU LOC of $2k. My 2 Cap1 cards are almost due for the credit step CLI's. I applied for all of my cards except the Discover alone and got approved under 21.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Skye12329 wrote:

So from my understanding once you hit over the age of 21 you are able to get larger limits correct? Now my sister is 18 but has scores of mid 700's however a very thin profile. I am hoping for her to get another card maybe in 6 - 12 months. However i was wondering does anyone know some of the max limits a 18 - 19 year old can get? Reason i ask is because she has a Discover IT Student card and she almost maxxed it out a few times, and she does PIF every month. So i was thinking about having her go for another card in the future. I am trying to avoid her getting another $500 limit, Personally like a limit of 2k would be perfect for her. 

List of credit cards applied/approved when being a 18/19-year old, as long as I can remember:

Barclay's BN: 2k

Discover: 500 (this is ridiculous, i agree)

Santander: 20k

Citi TY Prestige: 20k ... 

ML: ... something pretty high since my family has trust and ML wm.

My school's credit union gave me 5k and then bumped it up later ... check if her school has a credit union. I did run a startup and paid tax to uncle sam.

Message 13 of 15
abhowmick18
Valued Member

There really isnt much of a limit or age restriction. I was 19 when I got my first card with a score of fico score 730. 

My last CC was an AMEX Blue w/ a limit of 5k, fico score currently 750. Age 20. As long as your sister is responsible w/ using her card, doesn't utilize more than 30% and always pays off in full she will be fine. 

Message 14 of 15
creditconcept
Regular Contributor

I got Amex Green at 20, and it is NPSL, so I'll just round that down to $35 Billion. Ha!

But in all seriousness, 21 is when you can apply for a cc 1) By telephone 2) using combined household income 3) without a job, and 4) can get mail per-approvals without "opting in" at the bureaus.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.