Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Age of your massive card collections?

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Age of your massive card collections?

For those of you who have like 20+ cards...for how long have you had them?

I have a suspicion that most people with huge lineups get tired of the effort in tracking them after a while...or get AA'ed...or refuse to provide tax returns. I guess I'm curious to learn how many people will get 20 cards and still have them open 1/3/5 years later.

I'm not talking about bonus chasing followed by closing or consolidating cards...or about cards on which you're an AU that someone else monitors.

I'm talking about getting 20+ cards with the intention of keeping them. Who here opened a lot of cards in or before 2014 and still has most or all of them? I understand many people come here as rebuilders and post less as their credit improves, so some 2014 accumulators won't be reading this thread.

For those of you who purged your mega-lineups (or had them taken away from you)...for how long were you keeping the same 20+ cards open?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
15 REPLIES 15
manyquestions
Established Contributor

Re: Age of your massive card collections?

I have about 30 open with most of them between three and ten years old.  I enjoy the credit game so I don't find it to be a burden. I keep track of the cards in a spreadsheet and they are all set up on autopay. Some people enjoy the game while others find it to be a hassle to have more than two or three cards. It's like anything else. Do what works for you. 

Message 2 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I don't meet your 2014 standard by a year. I did obtain most of my CCs in 2015. I have no intention of closing any of the current line up. I use an App (Mint) to track my accounts. It doesn't keep me up at night or stress me at all. My line up is small compared to the pros here. Lol

Funny thing is, even with my current cards. I'm constantly badgered by current lenders and some that I'm not with to apply for their CC. The folklore of AA and lenders being spooked is something I just haven't seen as yet. I've never been denied for having "too much available credit". Come back and asked me in 3 years. Chances are I'll still have them and probably a couple of more. 😉

Message 3 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, Gmood, agree with your 2015+, thats when i started my rebuild and its ridunkuloud how many cards i got in only 2 years. I like to call this period my Big Bang eraSmiley Wink i deriously dont mind having 20+ cards as it doesnt take but s few minutes to verify all these accounts but i may hit that plateau or point where, becsuse my spend is more limited due to income level i may just KISS my credit and go 3 or 4 just to not worry where im going to put spend on.Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lol, Gmood, agree with your 2015+, thats when i started my rebuild and its ridunkuloud how many cards i got in only 2 years. I like to call this period my Big Bang eraSmiley Wink i deriously dont mind having 20+ cards as it doesnt take but s few minutes to verify all these accounts but i may hit that plateau or point where, becsuse my spend is more limited due to income level i may just KISS my credit and go 3 or 4 just to not worry where im going to put spend on.Smiley Wink

Absolutely nothing wrong with that my friend. I understand completely. I love having choices, went many years without them. I like the bonuses and discounts that having a variety of CCs give. I recently switched my phone service and TV service over. I made $275 just for changing service! If I didn't have my line up..I would have earned $100 for switching.😀 

The average consumers have no idea how much free money they miss out on, by not having some of these cards.

Message 5 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Thats true. Other day i had to get some car maintenance done and all i could think of is with what card can i get the most bang for my buck lol. One reason im starting to favor reward cards is just that at least you get back something for your spend versus not. So whether its 5 or 10 bucks back its better than 0 so... i decided to put it on my Navy card for though it wasnt my best return like my Dc, i still get back 1.5 plus i really want to establish myself with Navy in hopes that i can get one of those epic increasesSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 16
sunkissed
Established Contributor

I have a bunch of cards (27). My two oldest cards were opened in 2003. One I plan to keep (BoA Cash Rewards), the other I’d like to close (Capital One Quicksilver) – but haven’t because it’s so darn old (relative to my other cards).

I opened Amex Gold card in 2005, but they closed it on me in 2007 when I hit financial hard times. Although I had never missed a payment to Amex and had never been late, they didn’t like what they saw on my reports and closed the account.

I didn’t even try to add more accounts until 2011. I started small with a Victoria’s Secret card. It’s still open, but I haven’t used it in about 2 years. If they close it, so be it. I’ll eventually use it again if Comenity doesn’t close it first.

In 2012, USAA send me a pre-approval offer – so I jumped on it. I don’t use that card anymore. Rewards on my other cards outshine it. I will close it when my reports are clean (unless they beat me to it).

2013 was a busy year for me. My USAA approval gave me confidence and my personal financial situation had improved significantly. I added:

Discover IT

NFCU Flagship

SECU Visa

Kohl’s

Lord & Taylor (closed in 2015)

Fuel Rewards (closed in 2015

Macy’s

Target

Loft

JCPenney’s

Lowes

Walmart

Chase CSP (pc’ed to CSR last year)

Banana Republic

Chase Marriott

In 2014, I picked up:

AMEX Hilton Surpass (backdated to 2005)

AMEX SPG (backdated to 2005)

Chase Freedom

Chase Southwest (closed last year when I pc’ed CSP to CSR; limit redistributed between remaining Chase cards)

Barclay’s US Airways (now AA Aviator)

BJ’s

NFCU CashRewards

I slowed slightly in 2015:

Added AMEX to Macy’s store card

Citi Thank You Premier

Barclay’s Sallie Mae (closed when converted to Commence)

AMEX PRG

Home Depot

I didn’t open any new cards in 2016. And have only added Chase Amazon so far this year – only because Sallie Mae is gone.

I don’t plan to make any sweeping changes or close much until my reports are clean. I do, however, use most of my cards regularly. The few that don’t get used are highlighted in blue font. Backdating on the AMEX cards are helping my AAOA. I’ll probably hold those for as long as I can make them useful. I am waiting to see how the Marriott/SPG merger shakes out before I do anything with those cards.

I like being able to just pay my statement balance by the due date without worrying about utilization or how many cards are reporting a balance. Even when I pare down, I’ll probably still have a bunch of cards. At the moment, it works for me.

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 7 of 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@JAverageJoesCredit wrote:
Thats true. Other day i had to get some car maintenance done and all i could think of is with what card can i get the most bang for my buck lol. One reason im starting to favor reward cards is just that at least you get back something for your spend versus not. So whether its 5 or 10 bucks back its better than 0 so... i decided to put it on my Navy card for though it wasnt my best return like my Dc, i still get back 1.5 plus i really want to establish myself with Navy in hopes that i can get one of those epic increasesSmiley Wink

You'll get them with Navy whether you spend or not.

They're very generous with limits most of the time.

Out of the last 15 or 16 hotel stays I've had in the last two years. I've paid for two of those nights out of pocket. You can't do stuff like that using any CC or debit card. You must have the right CC for those hotels. That's several thousand dollars I didn't have to spend. We had rooms in Orlando/Disney at Hyatt and IHG properties. The total cost was under $200 out of pocket for 5 nights for a family of four. Some of that cost was for parking fees not just the rooms. I spent more money on food then I did on lodging. Lol

Message 8 of 16
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

23 total, including my Chevron card; no store cards.  AAOA - 1.9.  No AA or cld's, plan on keeping them unless something odd happens (i.e. Citi HHR).  No plans to app for more, just sp cli's when available.  303k in cl's, more than was my goal.  This is one of my favorite hobbies

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 9 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have quite enough open to play but close enough for horse shoes and hand grenades heh and hey it's easy to cut and paste.  Since basically I gave a crap about credit which predates my forum registration by a few months; open date isn't precise it's just first of the month for all cards since at least some of the bureaus track it that way anyway.

CardOpen DateMonths OpenClosed / Notes
BOFA New10/1/1169 
Capital One12/1/1167Closed 4/14
Cashcall loan12/1/1167Closed 7/12, Not on TU
WFDS Auto12/1/1167Closed 8/12
Amex BCE1/1/1266Backdate from 1/13
USAA loan1/1/1266Closed 1/15
DCU Secured2/1/1265 
DCU Auto8/1/1259Closed 9/14
Amex Zync9/1/1258 
USAA CC1/1/1354 
Chase Freedom1/1/1354 
Walmart1/1/1354Closed 3/16
Fidelity Amex4/1/1439 
Commerce Sigh5/1/1438 
USAA loan5/1/1438Closed 6/16
Alliant loan5/1/1438 
Mortgage7/1/1524 
Chase CSR7/1/1524 
Chase IHG8/1/1523Closed 1/17
Penfed PLOC8/1/1523 
JCB Makurai8/1/1523 
C1 Quicksilver8/1/1523 
DCU HELOC6/1/1613 
Chase FU6/1/1613 
Discover 6/1/1613 
Citi Costco6/1/1613 
First Tech12/1/167 
Chase Amazon1/1/176 

        
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.