Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aggravated with Capital One

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aggravated with Capital One

Last year I got the their secured card($201) and the classic platinum($300) to start rebuilding. Fast foward to now and both cards are only up to $500 each with a perfect payment history. I decided to apply for a GM card, denied, too may cards. App'd for QS...denied, too many cards. Asked for increase on secured...denied. Asked for an increase on platinum...denied. Logged into my account and saw an auto increase in secured. Contacted customer service and was told that i can have more than two cards. I was able to PC to QS even though the website was showing no offers. App'd for Sony card...denied and I dont know why. The system that sends you the link to the denial letter doesn't work. Once i login the only letter that shows is one from a previous application. Stupidly, i even app'ed for a business card. Denied and of course, no info as to why because I cant access the letter. Since then I have been able to get a Chase Freedom for $3k and both personal Southwest cards @ $2k limit each. My scores have taken a dip since then because of the recent INQ's and 35% overall util, but i figured the relationship with them would mean something. Apparently it doesn't. Ill probably cancel these and take my business elsewhere.

EDIT: I did not make this clear initially, but this was not something that happened within a few days or even a week or so. It happened over a period of months.

Message 1 of 81
80 REPLIES 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Aggravated with Capital One

And this is why capital one has a terrible reputation with the in between crowd.
Message 2 of 81
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I wouldn't have applied for so many Capital One products so close together...1 new HP on each bureau for each of those...kind of a waste. Clearly, they aren't ready to extend you more credit if you they won't even increase your existing CL, so I doubt they would approve you for a new product.

Capital One's reputation aside, you simply have to wait, show history and garden. Or try to get in with another lender if you are truly dissatisfied, but honestly, with your scores, you are not going to get approved for much with the "prime" lenders. I don't say this to be harsh or rude, but the reality is you just need to garden and allow your score to grow. Capital One should eventually raise your limits, or approve you for something else. If not, once your scores are higher, try another lender, that's all. I don't feel this is a case of Capital One being horrible, they just don't give out credit like candy, nor does any other lender. This is standard behavior IMO, you simply have to wait.

Message 3 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am aggravated with them also and will probably not use the card for a while or use it minimally if I cannot get any help or useful information. I see why people say they suck!

Message 4 of 81
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I fail to see how this particular case is them "sucking". They may be being over conservative, but again, no creditor is just going to hand out credit just because you feel you should have it. Maybe OP's scores are simply not there yet in terms of getting additional credit. I bet it would be the same with most other lenders.

Message 5 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Eventually could mean 10 years.
Message 6 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

kdm I was referring to my particular question and situation. And they still suck!!!!

Message 7 of 81
kdm31091
Super Contributor

For some people they suck, but then again for some people Chase sucks, Citi sucks, whatever, it's all individual situations :-)

Message 8 of 81
anm688
New Contributor

It's always individual. Chase hates me, and CapOne loves me. But it took me 7.5 years of on time payments with them on two cards before they brought over my cake on a silver platter.

Message 9 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

True! 

Message 10 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.