Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ahhhh Just went over

tag
Naro
Established Member

Ahhhh Just went over

So, just right now I checked my credit card activity and notice that I have accidentally  went over my limit. Now in my defense, I truly believed that I was good on my total and should have been left with 20 cents to spare. So can anyone tell me of the consequences I am going to receive.

Synopsis of my card usage if it matters: I usually max out this particular card out and pay it in full every month. 

Will this affect my score?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Re: Ahhhh Just went over

It would help if you tell us what card it is and if you know about the Over the limit fees. . .

I don´t think it will affect your score even if it closes and it reports being over the limit.

However, in the future your credit card will report

high credit: XXX

Credit Limit: YYY

And XXX hence will be higher than YYY.

If you get a manual review later on applying for credit, this will tell lenders you were not necessarily tight on budget but went over the limit at least once.

Your utilization will rise though so may as well pay it before the statement cuts.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 2 of 10
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

Yes it will hurt your score if you're always maxing out your card. Call your bank and ask for a CLI or get another card to take a little pressure of your utilization which is 30% of FICO .

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 3 of 10
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

It won't affect your score if you pay the account down before the statement cuts.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 4 of 10
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

Just pay the account down ASAP. It will not affect your score if it is paid down before your statement cuts.

You may get charged an over the limit fee from your bank. I would pay it down as soon as possible and then call them. Ask them nicely to waive the OTL fee if they are going to charge you one.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 5 of 10
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I was over the limit on a Chase card when the merchant "accidentaly" charged me twice. I contacted Chase when I noticed and was told they do not have an over the limit fee and everything has been fine since. I even opened a new card with them and it was not questioned. On credit reports it does show that the high balance is over the limit but that has never been questioned either.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends on the card, some will charge an over-limit fee and some won't, check your cardmember agreement.  I don't really see it affecting your score though.

Message 7 of 10
Naro
Established Member

thanks for the replys, the card is a citi forward

Message 8 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

You won't have any long term damage from going over your limit.   Once a Discover rep denied my APR reduction request because I had gone over my limit in August last year. But then, I got an auto CLI in December of same year.  Weird. They show lov and take lov away, all in 2 months Smiley Tongue

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 10
Naro
Established Member

do you guys believe that my interset rate will increase or will it stay at 0%.

Update just payed off amount.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.