cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aiming lower after denied Chase Sapphire - "we are less concerned with your score"

tag
Gramy
Established Member

Aiming lower after denied Chase Sapphire - "we are less concerned with your score"

So, like an newbie, I jumped in and applied for the Chase Sapphire -with a secure card, 1 store card, and student loan under my belt. They denied me. I called them and pushed my way to a supervisor and she told me she is less concerned with my score. I don't have enough credit established to get the Sapphire which has a minimum limit of 5000.00 - I wish that was in bold print. That woulda been the red flag, pie in my face, I needed. Anyhow, my mistake. 

So, now I don't know what card to go for. What company. Chase, cap1, etc. I want to rebuild. I've brought my score up from a 601 last year to the FAKO's of 750+, 767, etc.

I don't mind starting small. But is there a card out there that I might have a better chance with? CreditKarma tells me "very good" chance for the Sapphire - live and learn. I understand why now, but still need some help with where to aim my sights.

Thanks people. :-)

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Aiming lower after denied Chase Sapphire - "we are less concerned with your score"

@Gramy wrote:

So, like an newbie, I jumped in and applied for the Chase Sapphire -with a secure card, 1 store card, and student loan under my belt. They denied me. I called them and pushed my way to a supervisor and she told me she is less concerned with my score. I don't have enough credit established to get the Sapphire which has a minimum limit of 5000.00 - I wish that was in bold print. That woulda been the red flag, pie in my face, I needed. Anyhow, my mistake. 

So, now I don't know what card to go for. What company. Chase, cap1, etc. I want to rebuild. I've brought my score up from a 601 last year to the FAKO's of 750+, 767, etc.

I don't mind starting small. But is there a card out there that I might have a better chance with? CreditKarma tells me "very good" chance for the Sapphire - live and learn. I understand why now, but still need some help with where to aim my sights.

First, ignore any and all credit card recommendations from CK.  They are being paid to market credit cards and their recommendations are useless.  It would help if you knew your actual Fico scores, so for your own sake you should get them at least once before applying for cards so that you don't run into more denials.  Having said that, have you checked the Cap One preapproval site to see if anything comes up?

Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Aiming lower after denied Chase Sapphire - "we are less concerned with your score"

Are you looking for points or cash back? What categories do you spend your money on? While you shouldn't believe the fakos, I doubt they're off by 100 points, especially in your case.

I think I would start with an Amex, because the CLIs will help you get better limits down the line from other CCCs. Something like BCP could be good if you spend lots on groceries.

Alternatively, you could try CapOne Venture. Last I checked, they were giving out monster limits. Most people seem to Iike the card, too.

Let us know a little more about what you're looking for, and we can narrow down the options for you
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

This post has a bunch of pre-approval links:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Pre-Approval-Sites-June-2015/m-p/4059266

I recommend reading through the replies for the criticisms of some of the links. Maybe one of those pre-approvals will work for you. I highly recommend you avoid Credit One though.

Maybe you could ask Chase about a Freedom instead of a Saphire? It's a pretty decent card.

Message 4 of 26
red259
Super Contributor

@Gramy wrote:

Well now you know to ask here first, because anyone who knows anything would tell you that the CSP was a sure denial. That being said I did the exact same thing when starting out by applying for a CSP and getting denied before asking here and I am certain we are not the only two to do so. So welcome to the club!  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Are you looking for points or cash back? What categories do you spend your money on? While you shouldn't believe the fakos, I doubt they're off by 100 points, especially in your case.

I think I would start with an Amex, because the CLIs will help you get better limits down the line from other CCCs. Something like BCP could be good if you spend lots on groceries.

Alternatively, you could try CapOne Venture. Last I checked, they were giving out monster limits. Most people seem to Iike the card, too.

Let us know a little more about what you're looking for, and we can narrow down the options for you

I've personally witnessed FAKO's over 100 points off before. Friend of mine had FAKO of 690 and FICO of 551 according to Capital One denial.

Message 6 of 26
red259
Super Contributor

@Gramy wrote:

In terms of advice don't trust CK and other websites like that. Even some lender preapproval sites are not necessarily reliable. The best card will depend on your goals travel vs cash back. Since you are starting out the travel cards are probably not the best fit since they require higher spend and also usually require higher limits. I would focus in on non-AF cashback cards that focus on areas where you put most of your spend. I believe amex was mentioned in the thread and that can be good in terms of helping to grow your limits. A cap 1 card would likely be better as a starter or maybe a card with a credit union. These will tend to give you better starting lines. Chase in their denial letter should provide you with your current credit score or at least the credit score they used. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI, Chase didn't supply me with a credit score when they approved me for CSP in January.  They use their own internal scoring system.  Capital One is a good place for people with thin credit.  AMEX might be an option too if you want to try for a charge card, supposedly easier to get than the everyday that I also have, but I don't know if that's always the case.  It is a points card good toward travel. Their cash back card is blue cash everyday.  The charge cards have annual fees;  the two other cards I mentioned don't-unless you try for the preferred versions of each.

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

FYI, Chase didn't supply me with a credit score when they approved me for CSP in January.  They use their own internal scoring system.  Capital One is a good place for people with thin credit.  AMEX might be an option too if you want to try for a charge card, supposedly easier to get than the everyday that I also have, but I don't know if that's always the case.  It is a points card good toward travel. Their cash back card is blue cash everyday.  The charge cards have annual fees;  the two other cards I mentioned don't-unless you try for the preferred versions of each.

Chase does not supply a CARS score when applying for a "Fixed" rate card.

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase does not supply a CARS score when applying for a "Fixed" rate card.

That's if you are approved.  Don't they give it to you if denied?

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.