cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AirTran and Southwest Merge... guess on credit cards?

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

AirTran and Southwest Merge... guess on credit cards?

The purchase has been done already but don't think they are offically merging until May 2012 or something, but anyway:

Currently Airtran has a Visa and a Visa Signature through Barclay

Southwest has a Visa and a Visa Signature through Chase.

Do you think they will continue to offer both cards and they will just start earning Southwest points instead of A+ or do you think 1 bank will buy out the credit card and just offer a Southwest Branded Card?

Didn't British get bought or or did they do the buyout and they had a card through USBank, what happened with those airlines and credit cards.

I ask because I currently have a Southwest Signature card joint and I am trying to be removed from it and since Chase was in my bk before they would not approve me to get my own card, so was thinking I would go to Airtran and if it merges into Chase like Wamu, I could get myself back in the door.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AirTran and Southwest Merge... guess on credit cards?

I have both cards and I predict it will go to Chase. How they'll handle customers with both cards I couldn't speculate but I'd imagine it'll be similar to their points transition in terms of reward redemption. Barclay's is easier to deal with than chase IMO and hopefully if the account is in good standing they'll treat you well. I don't see southwest customers having the sort of issues that former wamu (I was one) did. That would reflect poorly on Southwest. JMHO.
Message 2 of 4
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

It'll definitely go to Chase.  Most if not all of Southwest's current products/services will remain in place.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 3 of 4
haiti222
Contributor

To tell you how Barclays handled a recent change in an airline program, I had a Spirit Card with Barclays. Spirit switched to FIA (owned by BOA). They did not transfer any accounts at all to BOA, I got a Rewards Barclaycard as a replacement. I applied with FIA for the new Spirit card, and was turned down solely because of a 6 yr old Bankruptcy. I have a mid 5 digit credit line card with BOA (since one year after discharge, from BOA before MBNA) and a perfect record on it and the Barclaycard.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.