Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airline/Miles cards

tag
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Re: Airline/Miles cards

@notfancy wrote:

Wow, okay. Yikes. Thank you so much for your thorough explanation. I wonder why they offer these cards then. It seems like a lot of work to maximize the benefits.

Yep.  It takes a lot of research to figure out how to maximize one's rewards.  I personally look at it as a hobby.

With that said if I was doing a lot of spend (i.e. $40k+ a year) and didn't care to figure out how to best maximize my travel rewards I would get the Arrival Plus.  If I didn't have a lot spend or didn't care to spend it on travel I would just get the Fidelty Amex - which gives you 2% cash back on everything.

Message 11 of 16
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@nachoslibres wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

Wow, okay. Yikes. Thank you so much for your thorough explanation. I wonder why they offer these cards then. It seems like a lot of work to maximize the benefits.

Yep.  It takes a lot of research to figure out how to maximize one's rewards.  I personally look at it as a hobby.

With that said if I was doing a lot of spend (i.e. $40k+ a year) and didn't care to figure out how to best maximize my travel rewards I would get the Arrival Plus.  If I didn't have a lot spend or didn't care to spend it on travel I would just get the Fidelty Amex - which gives you 2% cash back on everything.

I agree that fidelity amex is a good card to have 2% flat on everything. For most people its good card since has no af . the only drawback is there is an ftf if you want to use overseas 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 16
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

I agree that fidelity amex is a good card to have 2% flat on everything. For most people its good card since has no af . the only drawback is there is an ftf if you want to use overseas 

I remember looking into the Fidelity Amex, but it looked like you could only redeem that 2% on one of their investment accounts... and I don't have one. I also don't have a Fidelity branch here, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I will continue my research though as it will be a few months before I make any more credit card decisions. Thank you so much (everyone!) for all of your contributions to this thread! (especially you, Nacho!)

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 13 of 16
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@notfancy wrote:

Honestly, it seems more efficient to use  a cash back card.

Depends on one's spend, etc.  However, it may be simpler and easier to just rely on cash back.  Generally speaking, for lower spend cash back is likely to be better suited to the individual.

@notfancy wrote:

They offer them because people find them beneficial.  Doing the math is more involved but once you get it sorted out it's really no big deal IMO.  I find having a mix of cash back and UR cards beneficial but spend, situation, preference, etc all vary.

@notfancy wrote:

I remember looking into the Fidelity Amex, but it looked like you could only redeem that 2% on one of their investment accounts... and I don't have one.

You can easily set up a cash management account.

Message 14 of 16
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

@notfancy wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

I remember looking into the Fidelity Amex, but it looked like you could only redeem that 2% on one of their investment accounts... and I don't have one. I also don't have a Fidelity branch here, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I will continue my research though as it will be a few months before I make any more credit card decisions. Thank you so much (everyone!) for all of your contributions to this thread! (especially you, Nacho!)

Our pleasure.  And you don't have to invest the 2% - you do have to have a Fidelity account - but apparently it can be just a regular account (free) that you can withdraw the money from with no penalty.

Message 15 of 16
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@notfancy wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@nachoslibres wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

You can transfer to a fidelity CMA ,which is really nice checking account. Then you can transfer from there to any account you like.

I think for people who aren't big travelers and spenders fidelity amex is a good option. The only thing that traditional travel cards is big sign up bonus 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.