Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airline credit card Question

tag
guydiver
Established Contributor

Airline credit card Question

Hi all.  I have a question.  I have never had an airline credit card.  Take for example the Amex Delta card.  If I got this card, does this mean I would always use Delta airlines to make a reservation?  And if I made a reservation, how would I go about doing that?  Previously, I have always used different travel sites to look for the best rates from wherever I would be flying in and out of, regardless of the airline.  I realize there are rewards connected to these type cards, but I have never dealt with that before either.  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

Re: Airline credit card Question

@guydiver wrote:

Hi all.  I have a question.  I have never had an airline credit card.  Take for example the Amex Delta card.  If I got this card, does this mean I would always use Delta airlines to make a reservation?  And if I made a reservation, how would I go about doing that?  Previously, I have always used different travel sites to look for the best rates from wherever I would be flying in and out of, regardless of the airline.  I realize there are rewards connected to these type cards, but I have never dealt with that before either.  Thanks in advance.

You certainly can use this card with other airlines. Afterall, its still an AMEX. However, there are advantages that come with using this card with a Delta flight. The website does a good job of explaining the benefits.

As to your next question, If I understood it correctly, You can book your flight through any way that you feel comfortable. If you choose Delta, your AMEX Gold will recognize the charges and reward you accordingly. (for example... If you ordered a drink on your Delta flight and paid using the Delta Gold, then that charge would get recognized and you would receive the 10% discount and double the miles)

Message 2 of 3
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Re: Airline credit card Question

@guydiver wrote:

I am very new to flying, but from what i understand as far as travel sites go, they are more likey to be bummped from flights and not gaurenteed seating.

Seems like a gamble:  lower airfare but more of a chance of not getting on the plane.  So i rather by direct.

As far as a Delta speific card, i think that it goes like this:  in order to reep the benefits, you would have to always fly delta.  And i think that you may also have to book direct.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.