cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airline gift cards count as travel on CSR?

tag
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Airline gift cards count as travel on CSR?

I'm thinking about purchasing a gift card on southwest.com to use my $300 annual travel credit this year on the CSR. Has anyone done this? Had it successfully count as travel?

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
US Airways 1.5K, Discover 8K,
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Re: Airline gift cards count as travel on CSR?

It's being reported that it works if you don't select the "e-gift card" option. So if you order a physical card. I'm not sure which airlines but on FT and R there have been successes. 

Message 2 of 10
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Thanks, I'll look on R. I saw some conflicting things on FT and it made me hesitant to spring for it lol. Good distinction on the e card vs regular

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
Message 3 of 10
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

It also depends on the carrier. A lot I see are AA or United. I saw some didn't work with SW or Delta. But that may be the way they code e-cards.

Message 4 of 10
baller4life
Super Contributor

received_10154416231180528.jpeg

received_10154416231360528.jpeg

Message 5 of 10
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

received_10154416231180528.jpeg

received_10154416231360528.jpeg

Thanks! Did you do an e gift card or have a physical one mailed? 

I didn't know we still earned triple points on the purchased that are covered with the travel credit, that's awesome!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pretty legit, think I'm going to do this although I've already used about $100 on Lyft rides. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question is yes, but just wanted to make sure if anyone can clarify. Any charge that the $300 travel credit is applied to still counts toward minimum spend correct ? For example if I buy a $300 airline giftcard and am credited back the $300, that $300 still counts toward the $4k min spend ?

Message 7 of 10
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Pretty legit, think I'm going to do this although I've already used about $100 on Lyft rides. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question is yes, but just wanted to make sure if anyone can clarify. Any charge that the $300 travel credit is applied to still counts toward minimum spend correct ? For example if I buy a $300 airline giftcard and am credited back the $300, that $300 still counts toward the $4k min spend ?

Answer to this is yes, it still counts towards the min $4k spend. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thought so. Thanks.

Message 9 of 10
baller4life
Super Contributor

@justrebuilding E-gift card and AA holds the gift card for 72 hours before releasing you the card # and PIN #. They will send email confirmation of purchase and will include a link to get ur GC info once the 72 hour mark hits.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.