Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airline lounge benefits

tag
pakman92
Established Contributor

Airline lounge benefits

Amex Plat, Visa Black and others have airport lounge benefits.  Having never been in one, what's so great about them?

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Airline lounge benefits

More comfortable chairs, better access to power outlets.  A lot of lounges have free drinks including beer and wine.  Some light fare.  Wifi access although a lot of airports are adding that throughout. 

I tried out Amex Platinum this year.  I am thinking about canceling.  I very rarely take flights with connections, so I only really utilize the lounges for a few minutes before a flight.  If I had flights with connections where I was laying over more frequently, it might be more worthwhile. 

ETA: There are dedicated agents that can help you if you have a missed/canceled flight.  This can be a major benefit.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
MrShush
Valued Contributor

People that roll out of bed arent allowed in them!

Free cocktails are a plus too.
Message 3 of 6
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

More comfortable chairs, better access to power outlets.  A lot of lounges have free drinks including beer and wine.  Some light fare.  Wifi access although a lot of airports are adding that throughout. 

I tried out Amex Platinum this year.  I am thinking about canceling.  I very rarely take flights with connections, so I only really utilize the lounges for a few minutes before a flight.  If I had flights with connections where I was laying over more frequently, it might be more worthwhile. 

ETA: There are dedicated agents that can help you if you have a missed/canceled flight.  This can be a major benefit.

+1. It's a lifesaver if you have long flights with stopovers, especially if you're travelling internationally. Just being able to get away from the airport crowds and getting something to eat make it worthwhile.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 4 of 6
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

As others said, free nibbles, and drinks is great.

The best part though is they're quiet. You completely escape the nonsense in the rest of the airport

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
Open123
Super Contributor

For me, the main thing is that sometimes especially on int'l flights, delays happen; and, there are times when you have to accept a few stops to change plans getting to your destination.  In a perfect world, every flight is a direct one that leaves on time, but this isn't always the case.

During these moments, I'd gladly pay for the lounge.  Being delayed, stuck at an unfamiliar airport, with tons of people all waiting is an ideal time to retreat to a lounge. It's not even the food or the drinks, I just need an area to get away from the crowd and noise with some space to read and use the wifi.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.