Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alaska PC/downgrade: unbelievable!

tag
PointLager
Established Contributor

Alaska PC/downgrade: unbelievable!

Called BofA to switch my Alaska Visa to a no- AF card so I can SD it.

Rep said that if i switch it to ANY other product, the original $75 AF will follow.    The only way to get a free product is to separately app, and CL transfers invoke a HP (I knew that already).

But the AF following you to another (what should be free) product is news to me.  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Alaska PC/downgrade: unbelievable!

never heard of such a thing, I would call them back and get a differet CSR, and see if the answer remains the same. If so talk to a manager or the customer retention deptartment.  

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 8
PointLager
Established Contributor

thanks @jamesdwi

The kid also told me that if i use the card after the AF posts that i accept the "terms" and that the AF is non-refundable, even if closing the account.   

I figure that I should call in the morning and get their A team. 

Message 3 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@PointLager wrote:

@Anonymous @jamesdwi

The kid also told me that if i use the card after the AF posts that i accept the "terms" and that the AF is non-refundable, even if closing the account.   

I figure that I should call in the morning and get their A team. 

The reason the AF remains is because you technically (by BoA standards) still have the original product that you applied for and some of the terms carry throughout the life of it.  The PC option allows the reward structure to be changed but not the pricing, unfortunately.  They kinda clamped down on the PC process during late last year since anymore these days it's somewhat of a challenge to PC some BoA products, namely some affinity cards and BBR.  You might have some luck in talking to another individual or escalating it to the EO, but YEMV.

Message 4 of 8
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Wow. That's insane. Learn stuff here every day.
Message 5 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear that OP. Good info here about PC inheritance of terms.

The AK card is interesting, but the 3% FTF on top of the AF leaves a sour taste. I'll just continue to use my Diners Club to generate some AK miles.

I'm hoping to PC my BofA MC to the Travel Rewards VISA later this year, definitely won't be trying to get the AK card.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 8
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

If you can use it, the yearly companion fare coupon is worth more than the annual fee. You might consider it worthwhile to SD it even with the AF. 

I have never been impressed by BoA. The Alaska mileage program is a good one though, at least right now.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 7 of 8
PointLager
Established Contributor

Using SPG Amex is a better way to earn Alaska miles since SPG is effectively 1.25x. as far as FTF are concerned i have Amex platinum, Barclays arrival Plus, and united club card. Last year in Europe I found the chase card has a better fx spread so that's my preferred card abroad.

Thanks @bada_bing. I haven't used the companion pass last year so not much use of it this year. The main reason I am in the program is for partner redemptions.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.