Alaska airlines ..B of A

tag
Alcibiades
Contributor

Re: Alaska airlines ..B of A

@Cory wrote:

@Alcibiades wrote:

@Cory wrote:

For those who have experiences with this card, per the Alaska's website, it states you have the opportunity to earn miles with their 15 airlines partners. Are miles earned on either one of the Alaska's partners equal to an Alaskan mile? E.g., if I booked a ticket with American Airlines, using the Alaska card, would I still earn 3 points/miles? Can these miles be used to redeem equally with partners? E.g., are 3 Alaska miles/points worth 3 American airline points? That the most important question for me. I was thinking about appying for this card too.

You are mixing two things here??

This approach, or statement confused me. What am I mixing?

- earning the miles for purchasing the ticket and earning the miles for actually taking the flight

1) For all spending you do on the Alaska Airlines card, you get at least 1 Alaska mile per dollar-Understood.

3) However, when you enter your frequent flier information when purchasing a flight on a partner, you can choose to earn Alaska miles instead of the miles on the actual partner. -So when you buy the American Airlines flight, you enter in the Alaska Airlines frequent flier number, and the miles you earn for the flight go to your Alaska Airlines account instead of an American Airlines account. I do this about once or twice a year with some of my Delta flights.-Great!

In your opinion, which card yields the best return on miles, and why, Citi AAdvantage or Alaska Airline? I have an frequent flyer account with AA now.

However, partners often have limited access to award inventory (for example, users who are using American Airlines miles typically have access to more free flights on American than users using Alaska Airlines miles).-Can you further explain this scenario? Or send me the links to the blogs?

Thank you for your explanation!

Have a sweet day!

Cory

1) I was just saying that you can earn Alaska miles by flying on American, but you can't earn triple Alaska miles by buying American tickets. I think you get it know

2) I think most blogs rate the American Alrines frequent flier program higher. In addition, the sign up bonus for the American Airlines card is 50,000 vs 25,000 for Alaska Airlines. American is pretty flexible. Look up blogs like thepointsguy.com

Message 11 of 19
brokenpipe
Established Member

Welp, to answer the OP's original question.

Yes - BoA reports the CLI on the signature. I have a 10K limit and it reports as such on all 3 CRAs. 

763 Experian / 770 Equifax / 790 TU

AMEX Blue (AU) - 25K | Chase Sapphire Preferred - 23K | AMEX TrueEarnings - 22.5K | BoA Alaska Air Sig Visa - 20K | Chase Slate - 9K | Barclaycard Ring - 6.3K | Citi Thank You Premier - 5K | Discover IT - 5K | Amazon Visa Rewards - 4K
Message 12 of 19
BellaBuckie
Established Member

Thank-you for all your responces

Staying in the garden.. at least till Dec 2013 ?
EQ/myfico/689,
TU/CK 687,Walmart 712
EX/CS 739
Message 13 of 19
HiLine
Blogger

This is one of the rare airline-backed credit cards that do not waive checked bag fees... Smiley Mad

Message 14 of 19
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

This is one of the rare airline-backed credit cards that do not waive checked bag fees... Smiley Mad

Someone told me their card doesn't waive checked bag fees since a large majority of their cardholders are Alaskan residents, they already offer a program (Club 49) that waives checked bag fees for Alaskan residents. Sucks for people who fly Alaska a lot though & don't actually live in Alaska.

Message 15 of 19
brokenpipe
Established Member

@GMCSierraDenali wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Someone told me their card doesn't waive checked bag fees since a large majority of their cardholders are Alaskan residents, they already offer a program (Club 49) that waives checked bag fees for Alaskan residents. Sucks for people who fly Alaska a lot though & don't actually live in Alaska.

Which would be a majority of Seattle Metropolitan area, as Alaska Airlines (HQ in Seattle area as well) is the major hub in the area. Sad thing is that 2x the amount of population live in the Seattle-Tacoma Metro area vs the entire state of Alaska. 

763 Experian / 770 Equifax / 790 TU

AMEX Blue (AU) - 25K | Chase Sapphire Preferred - 23K | AMEX TrueEarnings - 22.5K | BoA Alaska Air Sig Visa - 20K | Chase Slate - 9K | Barclaycard Ring - 6.3K | Citi Thank You Premier - 5K | Discover IT - 5K | Amazon Visa Rewards - 4K
Message 16 of 19
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Alaska is partnered well. I used 25k Alaska miles for an $800 AA ticket. 

The companion ticket isn't as good as it used to be. 

$100 statement credit plus 25k sign up isn't bad at all.

Decent card for a decent airline.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 17 of 19
HiLine
Blogger

@GMCSierraDenali wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Wouldn't that induce Alaska to waive checked bag fees for all cardholders since they won't have to cover as big a population?

Message 18 of 19
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Wouldn't that induce Alaska to waive checked bag fees for all cardholders since they won't have to cover as big a population?

@brokenpipe wrote:

Which would be a majority of Seattle Metropolitan area, as Alaska Airlines (HQ in Seattle area as well) is the major hub in the area. Sad thing is that 2x the amount of population live in the Seattle-Tacoma Metro area vs the entire state of Alaska. 

That's what always confused me because I know way more people out of Alaska use Alaska Airlines... They seem to really take care of their Alaskan residents though because we get a ton of benefits. Three free check-ins if travel is wholly within Alaska, two free check-ins if the departure or return city is an Alaskan city, two yearly 30% off discount codes, etc.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.