cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aldi is now accepting CC. Will Amex code as grocery?

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Aldi is now accepting CC. Will Amex code as grocery?

The Aldi here in MN has been accepting credit card for a while. I think for at least a year now. Its coded as grocery when i used DH amex.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

About time. I went in there one day because we just got one and they cashier was like we don't accept credit cards loud as crap. Like oh okay loud much? Lol. 

I'm glad I had my debit card on me. 

Message 12 of 19
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Wow, this is awesome news.  Going from accepting no CC's to accepting Amex.  That's quite a turn, lol.  Might have to start going back there again for produce.

Previously having to use cash or debit wasn't worth the hassle.

Message 13 of 19
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

That is great news.  I quit going to Aldi because I never carry cash and quit carrying my debit card.  Now can go back.  Some of their offerings are truly cost saving, as well as being good.  Not saying that all is good, but a lot of it is.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 14 of 19
Appleman
Valued Contributor

That is great news as the wife can use her AMEX Everyday Cash card. Just to check, there is not a surcharge for credit use is there?

Message 15 of 19
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Interesting...there's an Aldi right next door to Publix nearby; my fiance and I were thinking about checking it out but I didn't know they didn't take credit cards! If Amex accepts it as grocery, I assume MC will too. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Appleman wrote:

That is great news as the wife can use her AMEX Everyday Cash card. Just to check, there is not a surcharge for credit use is there?

Correct, there is no surcharge at all.  When I went in on Monday evening to try using a credit card I check the door on the way in and it still said no credit cards.  Went in and caught an employee ans asked and they said, yes, we could use a card no problem but it was not official until Tuesday.

As a test I used my new AmEx PRG and it worked fine, checked earler and it coded as grocery.  Like Merch/General Grocery if I recall correctly.  My wife paid for something seperately with a Visa card and it also worked fine.  Have to swipe as no chip useage yet and cashier said maybe never on the chips.  ( I know my employer has elected to not bother with supporting the chips either and we have 100 plus locations, and we are never switching ourselves. ) 

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Callandra wrote:

Interesting...there's an Aldi right next door to Publix nearby; my fiance and I were thinking about checking it out but I didn't know they didn't take credit cards! If Amex accepts it as grocery, I assume MC will too. 

I love Aldi. Very convenient and is the same company as Trader Joes. But I still need my Publix. I only wish Publix would get a branded card

Message 18 of 19
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Callandra wrote:

I love Aldi. Very convenient and is the same company as Trader Joes. But I still need my Publix. I only wish Publix would get a branded card

I can see why some would want a Publix card (I LOVE Publix too) but it's nice shopping somewhere where the cashiers don't hassle you for a credit card every time you shop. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.