cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Baddies are FINALLY Gone! Which credit cards and strategies are best now?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: All Baddies are FINALLY Gone! Which credit cards and strategies are best now?

This isn't cast-iron for-sure, but many of the posts I've read about Barclays cards seem to indicate that they give higher CL's if your current total CL is modest.

In other words, if you already have lots and lots of credit available, they might not give you much, but if you only have access to $20K or so, they give you more.

Again, this is just something I've seen in posts. It might well be coincidental.

The Barclays Barnes and Noble MC is a good one, and you might like their rewards structure if you buy books. (They have rewards for other categories, too.) They still don't seem to have a good, higher-CL, plain-Jane Visa or MC that's not associated with a store or gas station. Unless they've snuck one in recently.

eta: and CU's are good, too.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 13
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Re: All Baddies are FINALLY Gone! Which credit cards and strategies are best now?

Since you have reestablished credit within the last two years with that Household Bank CC, I say you may have a good shot with Barclays.  I was denied by Juniper/Barclays a couple of years ago because I had no recent revolving history.  My credit score was good and I did have a few baddies, but they were more concerned with how I paid my bills within the past year.  I applied this year and was approved immediately online for their AmEx.  They have so many CCs to choose from.  You should take a peak to see what may interest you, do research here before you app, then app when it's most convenient for you.  That history on that Macy's card is helping you (my guess anyway).  So, app for whatever CC you want before that history falls off.  Also, Barclays pulls TU exclusively, which is your highest score.  And don't forget you can always call the backdoor number for Barclays for recon.  Someone always answers the phone almost immediately and they really go through your CR with you.   

I also think that they use your same CR for 90 days should you wish to app for another CC.  https://www.barclaycardus.com/

Message 12 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Uniqua wrote:

I'm not actually sure about Discover myself, but lately I have seen others get in with baddies on their CRs (none recent though).  Dismissed Ch 7 & 13 BKs stay on your CR for 10 yearsDischarged Ch 7 BKs stay on for 10 yearsDischarged Ch 13 BKs stay on for 7 years.  Judgments (civil) stay on for 7 years (may be 10 for tax liens, etc.).   Not sure about repos.  Barclay's has approved with baddies, but I do know that they like to see a payment history with revolving debt.

You're waiting on a short sale so you can close on 2/11/10?  Couldn't resist.  LOL

My ch 13 was dismissed and it's still scheduled to come off after 7 years.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.