Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Cards 0% but one <9% Method

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

All Cards 0% but one <9% Method

I have seldom gone above 10% on any one card within the profile but have never just had one card report a <9% balance while the others 0%.  I've usually just let them all report as is and my overall utilization hasn't ever gone above 7%.  Do you guys do this once in a while?  Had it helped?  I'm just looking to try a new method.  It is kind of annoying to achieve the whole thing but if it works I'll give it a try.  I'm looking to do the <9% on my Cap1 Quicksilver.  Thanks guys.

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Re: All Cards 0% but one <9% Method

It has worked for me in the past. But now I've learned that there's no need to micromanage unless I'm  applying for something.

In fact, I'm currently letting all my cards report a balance to see what the effect is.

Message 2 of 30
lexandra90
Frequent Contributor

this is a good question, for me my Util is now 31% but my score is 650 ish because I am maxed out on 2 cards. I noticed when my util was higher but most my balances were at $0 and only 1 or 2 cards had reported an balance my score was 680. I think for me, my best bet is having less cards with a balance and maybe 1 or 2 report a balance but overall util relatively low. Hope that makes sense. I am still trying to find my util/usage/balance sweet spot. I hope others chime in with more info as this is something intriguing to me as well Smiley Happy

Credit: $80K Total Credit Lines...Gardening until 7/2018
Message 3 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lhcole77 wrote:

It has worked for me in the past. But now I've learned that there's no need to micromanage unless I'm  applying for something.

In fact, I'm currently letting all my cards report a balance to see what the effect is.

That's why I'm questioning the whole thing with no inquiries (8 months) and no new accounts (3 months) added to my profile, over the last ~three months I've seen my Discover FICO go up around 12 points.  That's while I was doing 4 or 5 cards reporting less than 10% and paying in full after statement cut.  So it's not as if that doesn't work but I just want something to compare it to, you know.  See if maybe changing it up will shake it up a bit.

Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lexandra90 wrote:

this is a good question, for me my Util is now 31% but my score is 650 ish because I am maxed out on 2 cards. I noticed when my util was higher but most my balances were at $0 and only 1 or 2 cards had reported an balance my score was 680. I think for me, my best bet is having less cards with a balance and maybe 1 or 2 report a balance but overall util relatively low. Hope that makes sense. I am still trying to find my util/usage/balance sweet spot. I hope others chime in with more info as this is something intriguing to me as well Smiley Happy

I've already committed myself to doing it.  I wonder what it will do.  Just letting them report is way easier and I really feel like I'm trying too hard.  However, I have been gardening and haven't taken on much new stuff so I don't know what to attribute increases to.  It's all a guess.

Message 5 of 30
uswala
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have seldom gone above 10% on any one card within the profile but have never just had one card report a <9% balance while the others 0%.  I've usually just let them all report as is and my overall utilization hasn't ever gone above 7%.  Do you guys do this once in a while?  Had it helped?  I'm just looking to try a new method.  It is kind of annoying to achieve the whole thing but if it works I'll give it a try.  I'm looking to do the <9% on my Cap1 Quicksilver.  Thanks guys.

That has been the case with me as well and I recently applied for 3 cards (in last 2 months) and was approved for all. Scores are not doing bad as well except for EQ which is low for some reason.

Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@uswala wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That has been the case with me as well and I recently applied for 3 cards (in last 2 months) and was approved for all. Scores are not doing bad as well except for EQ which is low for some reason.

That's the thing with new accounts it will be hard to tell if it's not just aging that is contributing to the increase.  Somebody has to know whether this is better than a ton of cards reporting <10%.  I mean, I don't know if it's weird to anyone else but on CK when one of my cards had previously had a 0$ balance it says it's now reporting a balance as if it's a BIG DEAL.  I don't know if that's for security and monitoring purposes or if it's like a big no-no.

Message 7 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm curious to know what the approximate score improvement would be by only letting one card report a <9% balance, as opposed to letting more than one card report a small/trivial balance. 

Message 8 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm curious to know what the approximate score improvement would be by only letting one card report a <9% balance, as opposed to letting more than one card report a small/trivial balance. 

Well if nobody replies with anything definite, I'll let you know next month.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well if nobody replies with anything definite, I'll let you know next month.  Smiley Very Happy

Nice! Are you documenting it in a thread?  I'll subscribe if so. 

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.