Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All my credit cards now have a chip

tag
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: All my credit cards now have a chip

@Anonymous wrote:

In theory the vast majority of places that have the new terminals can support NFC. In reality I'm expecting most of the ones who haven't already enabled that to not do so (at least right away) when they turn on chip support. Cat Sad

NFC is a different story with EMV. With NFC, the big hold up is really that big players like Walmart still hasn't embrace it.

Merchants will start to adopt NFC rapidly when big players start to accept them. Walmart is very determined on supporting CurrentC instead.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

In theory the vast majority of places that have the new terminals can support NFC. In reality I'm expecting most of the ones who haven't already enabled that to not do so (at least right away) when they turn on chip support. Cat Sad

NFC is a different story with EMV. With NFC, the big hold up is really that big players like Walmart still hasn't embrace it.

Merchants will start to adopt NFC rapidly when big players start to accept them. Walmart is very determined on supporting CurrentC instead.

Walmart has a personal vendetta against Visa and MC, with one of their senior management famously saying that they don't care that CurrentC succeeds or fails as long as Visa/MC are hurt by it.

As for other major retialers, non-consensual data mining/tracking underlies a lot of their business models. Such tracking is basically impossible to do if a significant number of your customers tap instead of insert/swipe. That's why I think even though their new terminals could support NFC, a fair number will keep it turned off for as long as possible. Small businesses don't nearly have that power, so it'll likely be turned on at those eventually. (Shockingly poor merchant training, however, might make NFC difficult to use at those places.)

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Walmart has a personal vendetta against Visa and MC, with one of their senior management famously saying that they don't care that CurrentC succeeds or fails as long as Visa/MC are hurt by it.

As for other major retialers, non-consensual data mining/tracking underlies a lot of their business models. Such tracking is basically impossible to do if a significant number of your customers tap instead of insert/swipe. That's why I think even though their new terminals could support NFC, a fair number will keep it turned off for as long as possible. Small businesses don't nearly have that power, so it'll likely be turned on at those eventually. (Shockingly poor merchant training, however, might make NFC difficult to use at those places.)

Walmart is just being childish. They eventually will get one board with this NFC thing but that may very well be years down the road. In the mean time ill just be paying with Samsung Pay using MST rather than NFC. Just too bad their supported banks list is so short but my main card right now is a Citi card so im not bothered by it. 

As for the chip the only places ive seen it working is Target, Walmart, Old Navy/Gap/Banana. As others have mentioned there are so many places out there with the proper card terminals in place its just a matter of them turning them on and integrating them into their POS that is making them take forever or reluctant to do. 

Message 13 of 14
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

Interesting. None of my cards are chip yet. I do only have three though. I figured I'd be receiving replacements in the mail but either that is not happening or they are just behind. I would think with liability shift it would be top priority, even though sending everyone replacements around the same time would be expensive.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.