Frequent Contributor

Re: All my pretty plastic and huge thanks to my fico

@dalebb wrote:

well done Tom

Thanks, the insight I was trying to give with my post is:

You don't need to have 25-30 accounts

You don't need to have a mortgage

You don't need 20 years of history

to break 800. You might, though, to get near 850.

I don't even play the game where you only let one card report a balance and pay all the others down to $0 before the statement cuts. All 4 of my cards were reporting a balance when I applied for my BofA Visa when they sent me that EX score. Once again if I was shooting for 850 I would go through the hassle, but with 800+ you'll probably get the best terms from any lender.

Just be picky about the accounts you open, keep the payment records spotless, and keep the inquiries / new accounts down to a minimum. It's not as hard as people think, it just takes a few years, and some patience, especially if you have to wait for baddies to fall off the 7-yr cliff like I did.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 12
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Re: All my pretty plastic and huge thanks to my fico

@LTomBerry wrote:

@dalebb wrote:

well done Tom

Thanks, the insight I was trying to give with my post is:

You don't need to have 25-30 accounts

You don't need to have a mortgage

You don't need 20 years of history

to break 800. You might, though, to get near 850.

I don't even play the game where you only let one card report a balance and pay all the others down to $0 before the statement cuts. All 4 of my cards were reporting a balance when I applied for my BofA Visa when they sent me that EX score. Once again if I was shooting for 850 I would go through the hassle, but with 800+ you'll probably get the best terms from any lender.

Just be picky about the accounts you open, keep the payment records spotless, and keep the inquiries / new accounts down to a minimum. It's not as hard as people think, it just takes a few years, and some patience, especially if you have to wait for baddies to fall off the 7-yr cliff like I did.

I want to say, THANK YOU.  After apping for cards, I was about to play this game, like so many say to do.  But, it was a bit time consuming just thinking about it.  I would say that I do do a BT from high interest cards to 0%BT cards to take advantage of the program.  Sure I pay a 3% fee, but compare that over a 25.99% interest rate card (Dell), I would gladly do it again.  I have a deed in lieu that have 4 more years to go.  From my understanding, once this fall of, I should be able to get back 100 points or so to get in the high 780 to low 800.  Thanks!!!

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.