cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All of these AMEX threads are killin' me!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: All of these AMEX threads are killin' me!!!!

Is Amex still doing those F/Rs where they freeze your account with out notice or have they finally changed their ways? It's been very quiet on this subject?
Message 21 of 32
rom828
Established Contributor

I'd love to know, too, Pizza!

When I was all over the forum for advice on Amex, I didnt see too much about FRs, though I guess it's not a real concern as long as one apps with true info and doesnt object to providing verification of income, etc.

I've heard they can be bad about decreasing limits, also, but from what I've read that mainly occurs when utilization of credit limit is too high.  I read too that they check credit reports often to monitor spending habits etc, so I think anyone with Amex has to really "keep their noses clean".

I intend to be as careful with mine as possible to avoid any of these 'complications'!!
FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 22 of 32
Trishco
Frequent Contributor

I have absolutely no *need* for an AmEx...it is purely *want*.  It was almost comical how every time, (or so it seemed) that I would log onto the forum, the first 3 or 12 threads would contain something about AmEx.  Hence this thread was born. 

It was like dangling a T-Bone in front of my rottweiler!

But I am a fiscally responsible adult with more than sufficient credit lines who does not need, nor will she apply for an American Express! (How's that for trying to convince myself!Smiley Wink)

Besides, concord is going to mail me his!Smiley Very Happy

Trish <being oh so proud of herself for resisting the tbone, umm...the urge>

Message 23 of 32
aftermath
Established Contributor

@Trishco wrote:
I have absolutely no *need* for an AmEx...it is purely *want*. It was almost comical how every time, (or so it seemed) that I would log onto the forum, the first 3 or 12 threads would contain something about AmEx. Hence this thread was born.
It was like dangling a T-Bone in front of my rottweiler!
But I am a fiscally responsible adult with more than sufficient credit lines who does not need, nor will she apply for an American Express! (How's that for trying to convince myself!Smiley Wink)
Besides, concord is going to mail me his!Smiley Very Happy
Trish

but doesn't it just kill you that you are not apart of the ELITE Amex club? Smiley Tongue

you know it does!...

it's like when you get bit by a mesquito, it itches so much that you just HAVE to scratch it and you eventually will!

GIVE IN!

Message Edited by aftermath on 05-20-2008 11:23 PM
American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 24 of 32
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Trishco wrote:

LMAO! And then my first born as well???

OT, how do ya'll copy the previous replies into the new one? Thanks! Smiley Wink

Trish

Trish, click "reply" at the top left of the actual message you're replying to, not the reply button up at the top of the whole thread. When the empty text box pops up, click the "quote" button, and there it will be.

After a while, you can start getting fancy with html or with the graphical editor (if you're in IE) and delete any part of the message that you're not directly applying to.

You can also confuse the heck out of people by hitting "quote" and then moving your cursor to the beginning of it and putting your own reply in, so that the quote follows your new post, the way that Timothy does! Smiley Tongue

BTW, be sure to get concorduser's mother's birthday in months and years! I tried to create my own PIN, but nope, they want everyone to use their mom's b'day, or at any rate, a four-digit number that could be MM/DD.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 25 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't see why people worry about F/R. Yeah it sucks when you get cut off (happened to me on vacation last year) - but if you are truthful on your app when you state HHI, it will be a breeze and keep you in AMEX's good graces for quite a while. If you overstate your HHI on your app, AMEX should have every right to deny your business. In addition, you will have committed fraud which is never a smart thing to do.

But I think the advantages of having a TL with AMEX outweigh any problems that come with an F/R.

Message 26 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Phouchg wrote:
I don't see why people worry about F/R. Yeah it sucks when you get cut off (happened to me on vacation last year) - but if you are truthful on your app when you state HHI, it will be a breeze and keep you in AMEX's good graces for quite a while. If you overstate your HHI on your app, AMEX should have every right to deny your business. In addition, you will have committed fraud which is never a smart thing to do.

But I think the advantages of having a TL with AMEX outweigh any problems that come with an F/R.

I was thinking the same thing - but it would be very inconvienient to happen while traveling - but because I now almost expect it I am prepared.

Is there any way to preempt a F/R?  Can I call and say, "I'd like to verify my income" and just get it over with?

Message 27 of 32
Trishco
Frequent Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Trishco wrote:

LMAO! And then my first born as well???

OT, how do ya'll copy the previous replies into the new one? Thanks! Smiley Wink

Trish

Trish, click "reply" at the top left of the actual message you're replying to, not the reply button up at the top of the whole thread. When the empty text box pops up, click the "quote" button, and there it will be.

After a while, you can start getting fancy with html or with the graphical editor (if you're in IE) and delete any part of the message that you're not directly applying to.

You can also confuse the heck out of people by hitting "quote" and then moving your cursor to the beginning of it and putting your own reply in, so that the quote follows your new post, the way that Timothy does! Smiley Tongue

BTW, be sure to get concorduser's mother's birthday in months and years! I tried to create my own PIN, but nope, they want everyone to use their mom's b'day, or at any rate, a four-digit number that could be MM/DD.

HA!  Got it!  Thank you hauling, although I admit I was looking for an actual "quote" button....sheeshhhh Trish get with the program! 
Message 28 of 32
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Trishco wrote:

HA!  Got it!  Thank you hauling, although I admit I was looking for an actual "quote" button....sheeshhhh Trish get with the program! 
Whoops, sorry, there is one in Firefox, and I thought it was on IE also. At any rate, it's the rectangle thingy at the top right of the text box. How's that?

Wait till you quote someone who has already quoted someone else, and they were both in IE. Yards and yards of white space to clean off. Smiley Tongue

At any rate, it appears that you are now a quotin' fool. Have fun!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 29 of 32
rom828
Established Contributor

rom828 wrote:
I'd love to know, too, Pizza!

When I was all over the forum for advice on Amex, I didnt see too much about FRs, though I guess it's not a real concern as long as one apps with true info and doesnt object to providing verification of income, etc.

I've heard they can be bad about decreasing limits, also, but from what I've read that mainly occurs when utilization of credit limit is too high.  I read too that they check credit reports often to monitor spending habits etc, so I think anyone with Amex has to really "keep their noses clean".

I intend to be as careful with mine as possible to avoid any of these 'complications'!!

Techno and Phou....as you can see I agree with the two of you.  If you tell the truth, you have nothing to fear!!

But it would be nice if you could get the HHI verification out of the way voluntarily so you wouldnt have to worry about it.    Might be something I ask them about next time I happen to call customer service.

Prudent use keeps credit accounts  from becoming  debt accounts!  Credit and debt are NOT the same thing!!

So, Trish, you should go ahead and apply for the  Amex card, so you can annoy everybody else about  applying for an Amex!  LOL

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.