Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alliant Credit Card Information -Skip a Payment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alliant Credit Card Information -Skip a Payment

We have had an increasing number of people applying for the Alliant credit card lately, so wanted to share some helpful information that may contribute to your decision to apply.

I've had my Alliant Visa Platinum for about six months now. Generally I pay in full each month, and I've used the card quite a bit, but since it is at 0% for 18 months, I carried a balance of $860 for the past 45 days.

I had just paid off the $860 balance in full a few days ago, prior to my statement cut. Inside the statement that just cut, a special message read that Alliant wanted to thank me for being a good customer and that I could skip my January payment.

Thanks Alliant, and I am glad to be extended this option. My balance is zero, so I won't have a payment due anyway, but I appreciate the thought. Smiley Happy

I am enjoying Alliant and it's a nice feature to have for being a good customer.

The credit card also offers a prepayment feature whereas if you pay a certain payment during one month that is more than the minimum, it can decrease or entirely eliminimate the need for a payment the following monh.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

Re: Alliant Skip a Payment

Thanks great they recognize you being a good customer. We forget being in our myFICO bubble that regular people typically don't make huge payments like that without blinking an eye. It's nice that you were recognized for that. It's also prob more than a coincidence they sent it out to you and you have a 0 balance lol.

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had my Alliant Visa Platinum for about six months now. Generally I pay in full each month, and I've used the card quite a bit, but since it is at 0% for 18 months, I carried a balance of $860 for the past 45 days.

I had just paid off the $860 balance in full a few days ago, prior to my statement cut. Inside the statement that just cut, a special message read that Alliant wanted to thank me for being a good customer and that I could skip my January payment.

Thanks Alliant, and I am glad to be extended this option. My balance is zero, so I won't have a payment due anyway, but I appreciate the thought. Smiley Happy

I am enjoying Alliant and it's a nice feature to have for being a good customer.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 2 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

My oh my, Humu, how dare you carry that balanceSmiley Wink. Thats a myFico nonoSmiley Wink. LOL! JK, its gotta be nice to see even a simple note saying ones appreciated. Thats the kind of thing missing nowadays where we are all just numbers lol. Hope all is well , have a great new year HumuSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 10
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's great. I have a loan with RBFCU and a couple times a year they offer me to skip a payment.

Message 4 of 10
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

I have gotten these offers from different CU's over the years a well.  It isn't an altruistic offering, it looks like a profit center to me.

https://campaign.documatix.com/DM/DPS/WebForms/WebForm/509E9283BA4D85E8

There is a $20 fee for your first deferred loan, and a $10 fee for each subsequent loan.
 Deferred payments will extend the maturity date.  All other terms of your note(s) remain the same.  Interest will accrue until your next scheduled payment.
Message 5 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

I have gotten these offers from different CU's over the years a well.  It isn't an altruistic offering, it looks like a profit center to me.

There is a $20 fee for your first deferred loan, and a $10 fee for each subsequent loan.
 Deferred payments will extend the maturity date.  All other terms of your note(s) remain the same.  Interest will accrue until your next scheduled payment.

Not sure these terms apply to OPs cc though.

But I have also had them from banks in the past.   Basically they just allow you not to make a minimum payment for a month, but interest will accrue (in OPs case, 0% APR and 0 balance so not an issue) which may be worthwhile for some people, but not a huge gift!

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Alliant Credit Card Information- Skip a Payment

It's defnitely a nice card feature to have directly after Christmas.

I do also like the feature of being able to made additional payments during a specific month which can reduce your future payments on the card. Alliant does this with their loan products too. I have my unsecured loan with them prepaid through May, and it's nice not to have to worry about another payment being due until that time. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

jace8602 wrote:

That's great. I have a loan with RBFCU and a couple times a year they offer me to skip a payment.

humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:

That is good to know, Jace. I wonder if this is a feature that certain credit unions offer to good credit card customers. Whether you choose to utilize the feature or not, it's a nice option to be offered. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jace8602 wrote:

@humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:

That is good to know, Jace. I wonder if this is a feature that certain credit unions offer to good credit card customers. Not sure if this feature is offered by major banks on their credit cards.

Major banks certainly do (or at least used to).

Here is Chase in 2009 (financial crunch times!):  https://consumerist.com/2009/05/13/chase-invites-customers-to-skip-a-payment-accrue-finance-charges-instead/

Bank of America 2008: http://twopenniesearned.blogspot.com/2008/01/bank-of-americas-payment-holiday.html

And general advice from 2008: http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-skip-payment.php   

Of course in your case the 0% APR means it doesn't matter one way or the other.

Abd https://solveyourproblem.com/debt-free/avoid_credit_card_payment_holidays.shtml

Why Would They Do That?

Offers of payment holidays typically have a very high acceptance rate. People think it’s great that they can take a month off from the stress of paying back debt. What they don’t usually realize is that these ‘holidays’ aren’t a present at all – they’re a great money-spinner for the credit card company. For the company, it’s a win-win situation: they get to make big profits just by making their poorer customers happy.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sillykitty1 wrote:

Alliant charges no fees to offer this feature. They're really quite good to loyal members. Smiley Happy

The link you have provided above is from a different Alliant Credit Union, with completely different products and a different logo than the Alliant Credit Union many members here are familiar with.

The one you provided the link to appears to be located in Iowa. Just wanted everyone to be aware. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.