Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alliant Credit Union TIPS - APP & FICO Survey Results

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Alliant Credit Union TIPS - APP & FICO Survey Results

@favor4me2 wrote:
I'm confused, I have been reading about Alliant and wondering if I could get a card through them. My Equ score is 684 is that high enough to be offered preapprovals? My other question is do you have to open a account and deposit money every month? I know you have to join the PTA to get the accounts, but I'm looking to possibly refi my car and get a card with a high limit. Can anyone tell me the process, I have a BK that was discharged in 06 with no lates since.

You only have to fund $5 into savings initially.  There is no ongoing requirement of adding to savings.  But you should do so if you hope to establish an ongoing relationship.  Bank with the CU you plan to get credit with in the future.  It is the deposits of the CU that make credit possible. 

680 is about the minimum score.  That combined with a recent BK (past 3-4 years) will most likely keep you from getting any substantial offers or a high limit CL card.  I am assuming you have some reported baddies (may be IIB) on your CR. 

With that said, building a relationship is a good idea, even if it takes 6 months to a year.  Establishing a savings account which you add to (important to have cash reserves and emergency fund), potentially a direct deposit to checking and maybe an interim savings secured loan will all go a long way toward building the relationship, helping to establish current positive credit and position you for future credit with them.

Don't be fooled into going only with those issuers who will give you "right now" easy credit.  Those who make you work a little for it (like the CU) will pay off dividends in the end, whereas the builder and easy credit places will become useless in 12 to 24 months.

Message 151 of 279
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cabana7 wrote:

Follow up...got the 3-5 day message kept asking questions about a mortgage that does not belong to me...Well today they sent me an email and asked for a copy of my drivers license...faxed it in and called...(I applied for a savings account) they said I was approved and my packet was on the way...didn't get any offers nor did I ask for anything just thought I would fund the savings account and see if they offered me anything once it was funded...

733 equifax at time of approval

The 'offers' only come if your membership went through the online automated system without requiring fax of additional info, such as DL or SSN. 

You must now 'apply' for any credit that you need.  However, 730 plus FICO is good enough to get credit, unless you have certain baddies reported (old collections, BK, charge offs, etc.) 

Message Edited by txjohn on 05-16-2009 09:50 AM
Message 152 of 279
favor4me2
Regular Contributor

Thank you txjohn, as usual your information is very valuable. I have a question about your last statement

"You must now 'apply' for any credit that you need.  However, 730 plus FICO is good enough to get credit, unless you have certain baddies reported (old collections, BK, charge offs, etc.)" What do you mean that I must now apply for any credit that I need? I do have a bk from 06 and since then I have received 5 credit cards and 2 store cards, with no baddies since the bk. One paid off car and currently paying on a new lease. I want to get a card with a higher limit, my highest limit is 2,050.00 from cap one but I have another one that I will combine as soon as my credit steps stop, that will give me a limit of about 5,000. Eq is my lowest score of 684 my other scores are about 700 of course I don't know what Exp is right now. Should I wait until my Eq score is over 700? that should happen this year I'm in the process of paying off balances. My util is currently at 38%.

Message 153 of 279
Woolfman
Established Contributor

"You only have to fund $5 into savings initially.  There is no ongoing requirement of adding to savings."

Actually not totally true , As thier fee schedule does say 

Dormant Account Fee (per year) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $10  

One year in which no withdrawals or deposits, other than
credited dividends were made to the account.)     Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Woolfman on 05-16-2009 11:44 AM
Message 154 of 279
Anonymous
Not applicable

@favor4me2 wrote:
Thank you txjohn, as usual your information is very valuable. I have a question about your last statement

"You must now 'apply' for any credit that you need.  However, 730 plus FICO is good enough to get credit, unless you have certain baddies reported (old collections, BK, charge offs, etc.)" What do you mean that I must now apply for any credit that I need? I do have a bk from 06 and since then I have received 5 credit cards and 2 store cards, with no baddies since the bk. One paid off car and currently paying on a new lease. I want to get a card with a higher limit, my highest limit is 2,050.00 from cap one but I have another one that I will combine as soon as my credit steps stop, that will give me a limit of about 5,000. Eq is my lowest score of 684 my other scores are about 700 of course I don't know what Exp is right now. Should I wait until my Eq score is over 700? that should happen this year I'm in the process of paying off balances. My util is currently at 38%.

I meant that you will have to make a formal application at this point.  There will be no "automated" or preapproved offers.  You only get those offers at the time you join online, and only if you have no issues with ID verification and CR pull and you qualify within their "preapproval" parameters.

However, just because you do not receive automatic preapproval does not mean you cannot get approval.  It just means you will have to speak to a LO, submit documents (like paystubs, DL or SSN), etc.  Many who were not preapproved in turn were approved by a LO for various loans or credit.

One of the benefits of Alliant is that you can call and speak to a LO and get general info, loan values for possible used/refi auto loans or other helpful information about qualifying.

If you don't qualify for unsecured credit, I suggest establishing a savings account and adding to it each month. Putting a direct deposit paycheck helps too.

Then take out a personal "savings/share secured" loan.  These loans are typically only 2% net cost (meaning they charge 2% more than your savings will yield).  However, if you deposit the loan proceeds back into savings, you will actually be paid more interest than the loan will charge.

Example:  $1000 in savings.  Take secured $1000 loan.  Savings pays 2.5%, loan charges 4.5%.  Deposit the loan money back into savings.  You now have $2000 savings balance (with $1000 not tied up as security) being paid 2.5% interest.  2.5% interest on $2000 is more than the 4.5% paid on $1000 loan (which interest payments on loan decline as loan balance decreases).  So you can essentially get a "co cost" secured loan, pay it off in 6 to 12 months.  The entire loan is paid from savings interest and the original loan proceeds.

Six months into the loan, ask for a credit card.  You may not get "quick easy" credit with the CU's in the beginning, but you will get qualify mid and long term credit that you really are trying to achieve.

Good luck!

P.S.  Yes, I did fail to acknowledge "inactivity" or "dormant" fees.  So, deposit $5 at least 1 time each year Smiley Happy  But in my opinion, put all of your savings into the CU you want to work with and want credit from.  Make it a "mutual" relationship.  Don't treat them like Discover or Orchard, just as a credit source, treat them as a financial partner.  Alliant has great current returns on savings and CD's and we all need cash reserves, emergency funds and savings.  It's win-win.

Message 155 of 279
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

Although rates for all banks have gone way down, Alliant's are still amazing!  

Free High Rate Checking: 2.227% Div Rate (2.25% APR)

Sign up for e-statements and set up auto deposits (payroll) or transfers from another bank account.

You can set up "other institutions" under the transfer tab so you can move money between your current bank account and Alliant.

Savings: 2.47% Div Rate (2.50% APR)
Balance of $100 or more.
Apologize in advance for the thread jack. Just wanted folks to take advantage of all Alliant has to offer!
Message Edited by ocheosa on 05-16-2009 01:13 PM
[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 156 of 279
favor4me2
Regular Contributor

Thank you all for your valuable advice.

Message 157 of 279
Underh20
Frequent Contributor

I applied for Alliant on the 13th and received my welcome kit on the 15th.  That's pretty fast!

How long after you receive your welcome kit does your Visa card arrive?

Message 158 of 279
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Underh20 wrote:

I applied for Alliant on the 13th and received my welcome kit on the 15th.  That's pretty fast!

How long after you receive your welcome kit does your Visa card arrive?

For me it was exactly 8 days. The debit card came after 5 days, the PIN code after 6 days. There were a bunch more letters most days Smiley Very Happy.

Message 159 of 279
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

1.  what your EQ FICO score at time of app:  776

2.  what was your AAoA and age of oldest account:  11 and 20

3.  what was your highest CL at time of app:  10,000

4.  any EQ derogs at time of app:  none

5.  what instant offers you received online:  Auto Loan $25,000; Visa Rewards $10,000; Free Checking

6.  what instant Credit Limit & APR did you get:  Auto Loan 5.24%/$25,000 and Visa Rewards 12.5%/$10,000

7.  what credit did you receive through LO if no preapprovals:  n/a

8.  what verification or docs were required:  n/a

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 160 of 279
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.