Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alliant Offer - Thoughts?

tag
minski
Established Contributor

Alliant Offer - Thoughts?

I've been contemplating this offer from Alliant since I got it: 

enjoy 20,000 bonus points with the Alliant Visa® Platinum Rewards Credit Card! Choose from $200 cash back or other great rewards. Plus, you're already qualified.

You now earn 2 points per dollar on every purchase you make every day – with no annual fee .

Hurry – this special 20,000 bonus point offer (with $4,000 qualified spend) only lasts through May 31!

Thoughts? I'd love to get it for the bonus but to be honest, I don't have major spend upcoming and I recently got FNBO TravElite's smaller spend to meet. 

...maybe I just answered my own question. /sigh

Hopefully a better offer will come when I am at a position to take advantage of it. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Alliant Offer - Thoughts?

They send these offers out frequently. It will come around again in a few months. Their preapprovals aren't solid by the way. It's a gimmick to get you to apply.
Message 2 of 5
happypill
Valued Contributor

$4k is a really big spend for $200 sign-on bonus.  There are a lot of other cards where you can get better than $200 in value for a lot less than $4k spend.  In the past, Alliant has offere 40k or 50k points ($400-500) for I think $3-4k spend, so this 20k bonus is really not that special, especially if you'll have difficultly meeting the spend requirement.

All that said, I think that Alliant is a very good CU and do not hesitate to recommend them.  They are pretty conservative, especially when it comes to recent inquiries and new accounts, but their 2% card is very nice (they also have a 2.5% card with AF), and the rates they pay for savings are some of the best around.  Keep an eye out for the 40-50k bonus and go for it.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with others that $200 on $4,000 spending is not great. And historically, Alliant has offerred better for this particular card, and they do change the offers from time to time.  I got into the card for $500 cashback for $2500 spend just last year.  No telling if they'll bring that offer back, but it seems likely they'll do better than $200/$4000 sooner or later.

That said, Alliant is a great CU, and this is a good card, made even better now that it's 2% cashback.  In addition to the $500 CB, they gave me 3% CB on everything for a few months at the end of the year, and then allowed me to PC to their 3%-on-everything card a couple of months back.  When the first year is up, I'll PC back to this card, and it'll probably be my main driver.

Chris.

Message 4 of 5
minski
Established Contributor

Thanks for your replies!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.