Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alliant Platinum Visa Double Reward

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alliant Platinum Visa Double Reward

Just received an email from Alliant CU that my Planinum Rewards Visa now can earn 2 points for all purchases. Still no AF.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Alliant Platinum Visa Double Reward

@Anonymous wrote:

Just received an email from Alliant CU that my Planinum Rewards Visa now can earn 2 points for all purchases. Still no AF.

That is a major break through ... the field of rewards is heating up Smiley Happy Thanks for letting us know!

Message 2 of 13
nick125
Valued Member

I received the same. I'm really glad to see Alliant stepping up their credit card game...their Platinum Rewards card went from being the worst card in my wallet to my best. 

Alliant CU (12/11, $12.5k); Chase Freedom (3/12, $3.3k); Discover IT (7/12, $30.5k); American Express Blue Cash Preferred (10/13; $26k); Capital One Venture (3/15; $24k)
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

With this increase to 2 pts, there is no need to upgrade to their Sig Visa (and pay $59 AF) anymore....

Message 4 of 13
nick125
Valued Member

Their Visa Signature still makes sense if you spend over $11,800 per year...or if you want Visa Signature benefits for some reason (like the Warranty Manager). 

Alliant CU (12/11, $12.5k); Chase Freedom (3/12, $3.3k); Discover IT (7/12, $30.5k); American Express Blue Cash Preferred (10/13; $26k); Capital One Venture (3/15; $24k)
Message 5 of 13
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@nick125 wrote:

Their Visa Signature still makes sense if you spend over $11,800 per year...or if you want Visa Signature benefits for some reason (like the Warranty Manager). 

Can anyone tell me more about this card?

Glad to see that it competes with other 2% cards. 

I would like to know more-- What's the minimum redemption points? What's the best point value-- Can I redeem for statement credit? Is there an expiration for the points earned?  Does the card have FTF?

Message 6 of 13
nick125
Valued Member

@csryang wrote:

@nick125 wrote:

Can anyone tell me more about this card?

Glad to see that it competes with other 2% cards. 

I would like to know more-- What's the minimum redemption points? What's the best point value-- Can I redeem for statement credit? Is there an expiration for the points earned?  Does the card have FTF?

Which card?

The Visa Signature is a new cashback card, earning 3% for the first year and 2.5% after that. It has a $59 annual fee, which is waived for the first year. I believe you can only redeem for cashback with the Signature, and the minimum redemption is $25. There's a four year expiration on the cashback you earn if you don't redeem it. There isn't a FTF on the Signature card. 

The Visa Platinum Rewards is their older rewards card that earns points instead of cashback (although, you can redeem it at 1pt = 1 cent). It used to earn 1 point per $1 of spend, but now earns 2 points per $1 of spend. You can certainly redeem the points for a statement credit or a direct deposit into an Alliant checking/savings, and if I remember correctly, it's a $20 minimum redemption. It has the same four year expiration on rewards if you don't redeem them. There is a 1% FTF I believe. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nick125,

Great information!

Thanks

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nick125,

Totally agreed....

Message 9 of 13
happypill
Valued Contributor

Yes, I got this message this morning as well.  Works out perfectly for me because I just PC'd my Venture (AF was coming up) a couple of days ago.  It's like they were reading my mind.

I've had the card for a while but haven't used it too much after the inital spend bonus.  If I recall, the rewards can be used just like cash for a statement credit (or possibly deposited into your savings account, not sure), and they post pretty quickly.  This definitely makes it better than any of the 2% cards with AF, and I think it's better than the Citi DC as well because the rewards all post up front, not after you make your payment later.  I think its a little better than the Pendfed card as well because you don't have to maintain any extra accounts to get the rewards (although that one is pretty good too).

This card has definitely earned a spot in my wallet (at least until I get the BofA travel rewards with preferred rewards).  It definitely seems like issuers have been stepping up their games lately.  I think I prefer to keep this card at 2% rather than 2.5% with AF, although I think preferences could vary depending on the person.

Very nice!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.